Converting IR TX/RX circuit to hardwire

Kevin Lewis

Joined Aug 29, 2018
Hi Folks,

I think this is a pretty simple problem but I'm mechanical rather than electrical/electronical :)

I have a device which is using a IR transmitter to trigger one of my DSLR camera using the IR receiver in the camera.
This works fine over a distance of maybe 1m but if anything get in the way then obviously the camera doesn't trigger.

What I would like to do is fit a IR detector very close to the IR emitter on the device and if any IR signal is detected by detector then a relay contact is closed. i.e. if the IR signal is ON, the contact are closed, if the IR signal off the contacts are open

So if the device sends the IR trigger signal to the camera it is intercepted by the IR detector and the camera is triggered by the closed contacts because it is hardwired from the detector circuit to the camera remote control socket.

Maybe a small plastic box with a battery and circuit with the IR detector plugged in one side via a 2.5mm TRS socket and a 2.5mm TRS socket on the output side that will accept one of my remote camera cables.

best regards
Kev

Kevin Lewis

Joined Aug 29, 2018
Should the IR detector option not be an option I'm not adverse to opening up the device and hooking into the IR transmitter LED power circuit and pinching the trigger from there but I'd like to explore the easy option first.

Kev

Kevin Lewis

Joined Aug 29, 2018
What is the make and model of the DSLR?
What is the make and model of the remote trigger?
I'm using a Canon 5D4 for some photogrammetry work with the subject mounted on a programmable motorised turntable inside a light tent. The remote trigger is the motorised turntable which has a IR transmitter built into it that currently triggers the 5D4 when the camera is in remote mode. The capture process is: rotate the turntable 'x' degrees, trigger the camera, wait for 'y' seconds for the exposure to complete, and repeat 'z' number of times. For some shots the shooting angle puts the camera below the bottom edge of the light tent front entrance so the IR transmitter is obscured and can't trigger the camera. I want to switch to a standard wired solution to the camera for more flexibility and reliability whilst retaining the programmable automation the turntable gives me..

best regards
Kev