Circuit for converting 120v - 30a AC to 96v DC at 30 amps

systemroot

Joined Jan 3, 2021
I plan on making a gasoline powered ebike... The gas generator is 3600w and makes 30 amps at 120v AC.
I plan on using a 3kv variac to convert that to 90 V AC. Then bridge rectified to DC using a 200v, 100 amp full bridge rectifier... Then using 2 (63 volts, 100,000uf ) capacitors in series, for a total filter of 50,000uf as they are in series and rating of 126volts... I heard that you got to multiply the 90 volts by the square root of 2 rms, so thats around 130 volts, which is the upper limit of the ebike controller... I just want a smooth DC voltage as long as if its between 90v and 130v (despite title saying 96v).
The problem is i need a pure DC source and my calculations on ripple for C = I / (2 x f x Vpp) , says C = 30 amps / (2 x 60hz x 0.1v ripple) = 2.5 Farads... That is a a big difference from the 50,000 uf... Any help / suggestions here. Thanks

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I remember an old rule of thumb for a full wave bridge was 2000uf per amp needed. So 50/30 = 1667uf per amp, probably close enough.

systemroot

Joined Jan 3, 2021
Why? It is bound to be heavier, bulkier, and less efficient than a gas powered bike or a battery powered E-bike. What advantage do you see for your design that outweighs the disadvantages.

Bob
Laws... Ebikes have range problems... A ebike running off a gen is a ebike... A bike running of a gas engine is a motorcycle and requires license / registration / etc etc... Yet an ebike with a generator trailer is an ebike and follows ebike laws and has unlimited range... The unlimited range is a key thing as most ebikes at 40mph only go like 40 mile range tops which is not much... Also i looked at a online calculator for ebike wattage and speed and the extra weight only subtracts like 1 mph off of top speed... The generator is 100lbs and i weigh 130, so it would be the same as a heavy set 230lb guy riding my bike.

systemroot

Joined Jan 3, 2021
Is the output a sinewave?
i dont have a scope sorry... i am 18 and budgets are low. A youtuber had a scope and said it was ok, and im willing to risk it. My question is if i put a capacitor in parrallel to the mains AC, will that filter the sinewave for the switchmode supply... i maybe totally wrong here lol, i head that switching supplies have input filter capacitors, so i figure if i have some ones added parralel to mains, it will help out the supply...

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Looks OK. They mention operating a computer which normally has a switch mode power supply.
Did notice you would need to wire the variac to both 120 volt outlets.

systemroot

Joined Jan 3, 2021
Looks OK. They mention operating a computer which normally has a switch mode power supply.
Did notice you would need to wire the variac to both 120 volt outlets.
i decided to screw the variac... I am just going to have 2 120 volts switchmode supplies that make 48 volts off aliexpress and put them in series.