Converting Circuit Diagram

Karamelg1

Joined Mar 25, 2007
I have been given this circuit and I need to implement it with AND, OR and NOT gates. I already have the solution to the problem but really have no idea how to go about doing this. I tried by starting off with a Boolean function of this circuit, but my function is pretty lengthy, and I think I may be going about this the wrong way. Any recommendations on how to start? Since it is in all NOR gates, my thinking is that it needs to be put into OR-AND implementation. Please help if you can, thanks!

Attachments

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
There is an error in the drawing. If X1 and X2 are both low, the o/p from the left-most gate will be high. The o/p from the lower left gate will be low. These o/p are tied to the same point. The chip(s) will overheat and fail.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I have been given this circuit and I need to implement it with AND, OR and NOT gates. I already have the solution to the problem but really have no idea how to go about doing this. I tried by starting off with a Boolean function of this circuit, but my function is pretty lengthy, and I think I may be going about this the wrong way. Any recommendations on how to start? Since it is in all NOR gates, my thinking is that it needs to be put into OR-AND implementation. Please help if you can, thanks!
These types of problems are always best approached using Boolean Algebra. Post up your Boolean Function and we can work from that.

When you say you "have the solution" can I ask what you mean?

Dave

Karamelg1

Joined Mar 25, 2007
OK - when I said I had the solution I meant that this problem came from a textbook and the answer graphic is in the back of the book. I have attached the solution file.

The boolean function that I came up with is the following:

[[[x1 + (x1 + x2)']' + [x2 + (x1 + x2)']' + x3']' + [x2 + (x1 + x2)']' + [x1 + (x1 + x2)']']' + [[x1 + (x1 + x2)']' + [x2 + (x1 + x2)']' + x3']' + x3']'

I think I may coming up with this the wrong way because it is so long and confusing, which is then why I decided to ask and see if I was starting this the wrong way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Definitely an error in the first drawing! The horizontal line between input and output of the lower left gate should not be there. Remove it, and the solution from the back of the book will be attainable.