Converting AC motor into a DC motor

spiritual juice

Joined Feb 3, 2024
Hello All,
First I must apologize to everyone for the fact that I am a carpenter and not an electronics or electrical engineer. My experience and knowledge come from my interest in disassembling everything to see what makes them work to researching and tinkering around the shop. My collection of toy motors to power tool motors is extensive and I am wanting to make use of the power tool AC motors and making eBikes, skateboards, scooters, Luxury Car/Truck golf carts and go carts as well as the one thing that is about to come to the public in mass production : Electronic Vertical Take-Off and Landing machines (EVTOL). My question is the following: can and will someone describe and explain how to modify an AC powered motor into a DC motor that can run off 1 or more cordless power tool batteries? I have watched videos but when try to replicate the project, it never seems to work.
I thank and appreciate any pointers or input given.
--- Anthony

<Mod: email deleted to avoid spammers>

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
There are various types of AC motor. Some might convert ok, others not. What types do you have?
The 'universal' type of motor will work on AC or DC without modification.
the one thing that is about to come to the public in mass production : Electronic Vertical Take-Off and Landing machines (EVTOL).
I don't see that happening any time soon, if you mean passenger-carrying machines. Of course drones are already being produced.

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Powertool AC motors (which are uinversal motors) will also run off DC (as @Alec_t says). However, a power tool motor is not designed for efficiency, and has a rated life of only 500 hours.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Universal (brushed) series field motors operate in a run-away condition, i.e. RPM governed by load, they do however possess Very High torque under load.
If you want to control the RPM of them accurately, you need to use the IC developed by Motorola specifically for this, the TDA1085, requires adding a low res, 6-8pulse tach on the rear of the motor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can run any AC motor from a DC source by using an inverter. Far easier than trying to “convert” the motor to DC.
It sounded as though the OP wants top uses typical power tool motors, which as already mentioned, usually consists of Universal (AC/DC) motors??

I am wanting to make use of the power tool AC motors and making eBikes, skateboards, scooters, Luxury Car/Truck golf carts and go carts

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
It sounded as though the OP wants top uses typical power tool motors, which as already mentioned, usually consists of Universal (AC/DC) motors??
Depends on what kind of power tools you are taking about. I have table saw, band saw and drill press that have induction motors.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My list of Universal motor powered hand/power tools are:-
Router.
Hand drills
Sawsall
Disc grinder
Jig saw
Hand Planer
Hand sander (2)
Shop Vacs (2)
The Induction motor powered are in a minority.