Converting 12vac dimmable halogen to 12vac dimmable led

s200bym

Joined Aug 9, 2017
Hi guys.

I'm trying to convert my old halogen lights to LED.

The question is, can I just swap out the transformer from the existing circuit for one that is suitable for the leds?

The Main light has 5x 12vac 10W halogen bulbs and I will be swapping with 5x 12vac 6W LED's. The power supply is 35W-105W.
The Table light has 3x 12vac 10W halogens and swapping for DIMMABLE 12vac 6W LED's. The power supply is 20W-60W.
The Corner Light has the same number of bulbs as the main light but are DIMMABLE the same as the table light. The power supply is 50W-150W.

All lights are in parallel setup.

If I read correctly in an article about parallel lighting, I will need to add together the wattage per bulb to get the correct wattage transformer? e.g 5x6W = a 30W transformer?

I have a background in electrical work but when it comes to the electronics side of thinks I get a little lost.

Hopefully, all this makes sense and you can understand what I am trying to get across.

Many Thanks,
Mike.

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
As far as the main light use the one in the light fixture as is. You have more wattage then you need but as long as the LED's are designed for 12vac there's no problem. The dimmers may or may not work correctly with the LEDs chosen but I would try it first before buying anything.
SG

s200bym

Joined Aug 9, 2017
@sghioto thanks for your reply. I have tried the LEDs in all the lights and I get very faint flicker, buzz and the lights are not very bright.

The bulbs are G4 dimmable 12v AC and have the DC rectifier in the bulb.

I thought maybe the LEDs don’t have enough draw for the transfer, and that I need to get a lower wattage range one. I know that with the table lamp if it only has 1 halogen bulb in and the other sockets empty, that 1 bulb is very dim and buzzes until I add the other bulbs then it goes to its full brightness.

Thanks,
Mike.

Last edited:

s200bym

Joined Aug 9, 2017
I have just bypassed the 12v ac transformer and run them off a 12v switch mode power supply and they worked fine.

I may just do away with the ac transformer and stick a 12v dc power supply in as it worked.

If the dimming doesn’t work that’s no biggie as we don’t really dim the lights, they just so happened to have dimmers when we brought them, but if I can keep the option it will be a bonus.

Thanks,
Mike.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
@sghioto thanks for your reply. I have tried the LEDs in all the lights and I get very faint flicker, buzz and the lights are not very bright.
The bulbs are G4 dimmable 12v AC and have the DC rectifier in the bulb.
I thought maybe the LEDs don’t have enough draw for the transfer, and that I need to get a lower wattage range one. l
Mike, you are probably right even though most of those LED G4 bulbs claim to be a direct replacement for halogen. You could add one of those in-line PWM dimmers used for LED strip lighting.
SG

upload_2018-2-25_8-17-10.jpeg