Controlling rotary solenoid using optocoupler

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hello,

I have assembled the schematic attached below:

I am using the exact components as shown. That is, an optocoupler omron EE-SH3 and a darlington TIP102. When the circuit has 5V at the input of the optocoupler, the solenoid gets energized. But this is not what I want. The desired operation is that when the optocoupler gets 5V at the input, I want the solenoid to be energized only when I put an object in the photomicrosensor. How can I achieve that? Seems like the circuit is doing the opposite.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Undortunately, your schematic doesn't show. If you're having trouble inserting images, this link provides one way of successfully inserting a picture.

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hello,

I have assembled the schematic attached below:

I am using the exact components as shown. That is, an optocoupler omron EE-SH3 and a darlington TIP102. When the circuit has 5V at the input of the optocoupler, the solenoid gets energized. But this is not what I want. The desired operation is that when the optocoupler gets 5V at the input, I want the solenoid to be energized only when I put an object in the photomicrosensor. How can I achieve that? Seems like the circuit is doing the opposite.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Connect opto pin 4 to ground.
Connect opto pin 5 to the transistor base.
Connect a 3k resistor from the +24V to the transistor base.
This will turn on the transistor when the opto is interrupted.