Control HDMI Switch with Raspberry

lukas2323

Joined Mar 10, 2019
I am trying to control an HDMI switch to change output based with my Raspberry Pi 3b+.
I have a HDMI switch that has a push button to change/toggle between inputs. I am wondering how to modify the HDMI switch to allow control from the Raspberry Pi. I thought I control it with a relay but the only problem I have is with the wiring because my skills in building electrical circuits are top beginner.
Attached are photos of what I am working with. My current thought is to remove the push button switch from the board and solder connects to a DPDT relay.
Any help/suggestions are welcome.
Thank you

Attachments

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Hi Lukas, your best first trying to figure out what connections the switch has. If you use a multi-meter in continuity (beep) mode, and see what connections are made, and broken, when you change switch position. You can then draw up what your relay has to do. From the looks of the PCB it looks like one set of switch contacts, simply changes between the 2 LEDs. Then there is one line which goes to somewhere else on the PCB which probably does the actual HDMI switching.

lukas2323

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Hi Lukas, your best first trying to figure out what connections the switch has. If you use a multi-meter in continuity (beep) mode, and see what connections are made, and broken, when you change switch position. You can then draw up what your relay has to do. From the looks of the PCB it looks like one set of switch contacts, simply changes between the 2 LEDs. Then there is one line which goes to somewhere else on the PCB which probably does the actual HDMI switching.
Do you think this relay would be the best one for this project ? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-C...52-4f73-a4d8-b66efee48e97&transAbTest=ae803_4

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Its hard to say until you know what connections the switch actually has, you could maybe also do away with the LEDs, and just use a single relay. If your feeling ambitions you could actually try trace the wires going to the switch - track the wire that actually goes to the HDMI controller IC, find a data sheet for it and see what its doing. Then you may well be able to drive it directly from your Pi...

lukas2323

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Its hard to say until you know what connections the switch actually has, you could maybe also do away with the LEDs, and just use a single relay. If your feeling ambitions you could actually try trace the wires going to the switch - track the wire that actually goes to the HDMI controller IC, find a data sheet for it and see what its doing. Then you may well be able to drive it directly from your Pi...
I have measured the connection when I push and pull the button so I figured out , that it is this "circuit". How would you suggest I wire it up to my relay?

Attachments