Consumer electronics vacuum tubes and hi voltage\frequency

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks very much for providing the circuit.
Now for rectifying the really high voltage, here is an idea, which is to use a magneticly steered arc. current in one direction would be pushed towards one electrode while current in the opposite direction would be pushed the other way. I got this idea from thinking about magnetic blow-outs on some really high power high voltage contactors we used for a project once.

BulbChangeExpert

Joined Mar 26, 2016
*what you said
i thank you in advance but i'm not getting what it actually drives, i have a bounch of flyback transformers from regular CRT stuff... anyways go for it if you find the schematic (it's a bit troublesome listing em no matter what trick you use to sort, verbose keywords may help i think, i keep opening em almost one by one)

i don't really understand this subject about "danger" when ppl are so trained to come up with something like that and at the same time get killed like in an awkward online dare challenge, i perfectly understand that some jackasses like to sue websites and stuff semi-convinced it's their fault... kinda weird, there are big dangerous rambo-like knives in every kitchen

BulbChangeExpert

Joined Mar 26, 2016
use a magneticly steered arc
sounds juicy, it can arc to some centimeters, i anyways re-specify it works at ~600kHz, a coil could not have much trouble to reach that but switching two far electrodes may not succed so fast...OR... it's just that the steer is initiated BEFORE the actual arcing in the half wave? enlight me

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
i thank you in advance but i'm not getting what it actually drives, i have a bounch of flyback transformers from regular CRT stuff... anyways go for it if you find the schematic (it's a bit troublesome listing em no matter what trick you use to sort, verbose keywords may help i think, i keep opening em almost one by one)

i don't really understand this subject about "danger" when ppl are so trained to come up with something like that and at the same time get killed like in an awkward online dare challenge, i perfectly understand that some jackasses like to sue websites and stuff semi-convinced it's their fault... kinda weird, there are big dangerous rambo-like knives in every kitchen
At several of my past employers I had to teach people how to use different pieces of machinery, such as lathes and bandsaws. Every time, the first thing was a safety explanation, although I often prefaced that with the statement "I am sure you already know this, but I am obligated to warn you about it." But I always did it in a friend to friend manner. The problem today is that there is indeed a growing minority of really stupid folks who seem unable to think through the results of their actions, and they absolutely believe that others are responsible for their personal safety. So to avoid all kinds of grief we must always warn about the possible dangers that some folks may never understand that they exist.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
sounds juicy, it can arc to some centimeters, i anyways re-specify it works at ~600kHz, a coil could not have much trouble to reach that but switching two far electrodes may not succed so fast...OR... it's just that the steer is initiated BEFORE the actual arcing in the half wave? enlight me
Since the arc is a conductor carrying current,there is a force on it when it is in a magnetic field. The concept may have some flaws, but it seems like one possible way to have more average current flowing in one direction than the opposite direction. But as I think about it some more, it may not be useful. Perhaps somebody else who reads these threads can add some insight.

BulbChangeExpert

Joined Mar 26, 2016
The problem today is that there is indeed a growing minority of really stupid folks who seem unable to think through the results of their actions, and they absolutely believe that others are responsible for their personal safety. So to avoid all kinds of grief we must always warn about the possible dangers that some folks may never understand that they exist.
kinda weird anyways, i obviously live in the second world so a chief doing that ritual explanation would sound... uummhh... (euphemism arriving) weird?... there may also be ppl considering that an offence, especially thinking it's weird :D i had a safety course, half of it was actually ritual but some things were fine to learn, lack of safety is an inner behaviour, just look how some ppl drive and the CLASSIC story of how they did an accident, it's NEVER because they were speeding in inappropriate places, it's ALWAYS because of misfortune and others that don't belong to Lemans apparently
is that an Espirit??? cool car!! it has manual, right? :D

But as I think about it some more, it may not be useful.
it still sound possible somehow, but probably it needs to be engeneered really well, too much time for the effort

i think i'm overusing your time folks :D, interesting stuff anyways

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
kinda weird anyways, i obviously live in the second world so a chief doing that ritual explanation would sound... uummhh... (euphemism arriving) weird?... there may also be ppl considering that an offence, especially thinking it's weird :D i had a safety course, half of it was actually ritual but some things were fine to learn, lack of safety is an inner behaviour, just look how some ppl drive and the CLASSIC story of how they did an accident, it's NEVER because they were speeding in inappropriate places, it's ALWAYS because of misfortune and others that don't belong to Lemans apparently

is that an Espirit??? cool car!! it has manual, right? :D

it still sound possible somehow, but probably it needs to be engeneered really well, too much time for the effort

i think i'm overusing your time folks :D, interesting stuff anyways
Oh yes we have to be very careful on here, due to the real and possible dangers of working with mains and high voltage designs, some subjects are banned.

Yes it is a Lotus Esprit 180 Se. Only 16 made I think. All manual, no power steering, no abs, no onboard computer except for the driver. It is amazing fun to drive!!

BulbChangeExpert

Joined Mar 26, 2016
Yes it is a Lotus Esprit 180 Se. Only 16 made I think.
realy cool car, i have only parked an Elise :D, everything was aluminium there, usual leaky haed water gasket (i am historically a mechanic)
All manual, no power steering, no abs, no onboard computer except for the driver. It is amazing fun to drive!!
and especially no "gremlings"... i've heard of the new anti pollution systems that start to not sound much "anti pollution" anymore, like: if you dont "roast" enough the exhaust system with driving you HAVE to drive more at a sustained rev. (or power?) to purge the system, it literally appears on the screen "do not turn off the engine" and it's supposed that you drive for like 15 minutes uselessly (and then polluting and consuming) to purge it, OR you have to bring the car to an authorized mechanic shop and ask for purging, that they say it makes a tonne of smoke and smell during the automatic process.... honestly, after dieselgate and stuff, i don't trust much any more this developing standards, another case is the regenerating power system in electric cars, they made the throttle pedal that brakes (electrically) when released and there's always the classic brake for stronger and emergency braking... serously????.... i think it's bcs they had no authorization to mod the brake pedal and come up with something even more dangerous than that... and let's not mention that anti pollution standards are per-liter of fuel and not per-kilometer, you can also make a car pollute less PER-LITER by consuming more, so actually polluting more (hipotetically and quite likely)

all the market chain culprits from who draws a car with a pencil, to who sells that to us and who must approve this and that is ENTIRELY over the final customer shoulders, it's like a group of people that need someone to sacrifice and everybody says "not me, i have a goldfish to rise!!" and then becomes clear who is the "victimiest" of all... who is actually paying

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Bulbchange: Very few agree with me that there appears to be a well masked second agenda among those who really do not like cars or driving. Quite possibly that discussion should be in a different thread, and I don't even know if this AAC website would let such happen.
But for the dumb thing of going into braking whenever the accel is released, that is the trademark and signature of really bad drivers, those who are unable or unwilling to flow with traffic. Those are the ones who run up on the car ahead and then brake hard, and get the traffic moving in fits and starts. Take them off the roads and pollution would drop enough to be easily measurable, plus fewer accidents and less pollution. Instead we would get computer driven cars that will never be able to handle exceptions. But THAT discussion is clearly for a different thread.

BulbChangeExpert

Joined Mar 26, 2016
i kinda agree to this, anyways not to refuse an invitation to a further discussion, the only things i think are already there and... yes, i also think that there are ppl that hate beautiful things as cars by default to be more "radical chic cool", at the same time there are like 99% of car owners that will not buy an Espirit, but a gigantic end\or superbranded... thing... and that's comparatively stupid, and well satisfied by the market, who the hell really needs a 4WD??? sandrails are 2WD just to say

90% of the job for every argument is already known, but not done, pissed off people are a lot, powerful positive thinkers are very little instead, squad sense idealogy has a very bad effect

i'm not exactly doing this here, just got "triggered" to the argument

i remember an opinion by a ship capitain talking about PID steer control of new ships.... goddamn he is a capitain, he has PID in his hands or they will still have a problem onboard, he defined the response just weird... throttle by wire? anyone consideing it too disfunctional to be accepted? a decade in my car and i still feel the computer thinking instead of me, doing annoying things... at the end just to save on the idle valve, just for that

but an Espirit is still too old to pollute little, some improvements were done actually

windows updates? anyone? LOL

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
And now I just had another thought, relative to arc rectification. Consider that the spark on your spark plugs has a definite polarity. So instead of using a fairly sine-wave oscillator, what about pulsing the primary, with something like one of those old Mark10 Capacitor Discharge ignition boxes?Trigger that with a 555 timer giving perhaps 20 pulses per second, or maybe just 10 PPS, and the single spark jumping the gap would be mostly one polarity. That could charge the glass capacitor fairly well, I suspect. And it should be fairly simple to try. You might possibly get away with using an automotive spark coil. I knew that I had seen spark rectification somehow achieved.
We can stop ranting about cars for now, possibly some moderator can point us toward a section where it would be OK. Or maybe they need another section identified as "Random Rantings", Civilized, of course, there is no need to be vulgar or offensive after all.

BulbChangeExpert

Joined Mar 26, 2016
well that sounds possible, the spark plugs coil relies on single pulses that are obviously single polarity spikes, but it will reach just the coil voltage of course (i don't see how it can go past that, passively), high enough, and the capacitor vould discharge more energy (i hope).... mhhh, maybe acumulating sparks like 10 of em gradaully increasing the voltage will make ANOTHER spark gap spark stronger... but we are far from an automatism contraption that captures charge as an effect on a tesla, not fancy the way i intended :D

but ok, if i cannot succeed with the DY86 i'll abandon that, it's not the quest of my life :D

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
well that sounds possible, the spark plugs coil relies on single pulses that are obviously single polarity spikes, but it will reach just the coil voltage of course (i don't see how it can go past that, passively), high enough, and the capacitor vould discharge more energy (i hope).... mhhh, maybe acumulating sparks like 10 of em gradaully increasing the voltage will make ANOTHER spark gap spark stronger... but we are far from an automatism contraption that captures charge as an effect on a tesla, not fancy the way i intended :D

but ok, if i cannot succeed with the DY86 i'll abandon that, it's not the quest of my life :D
Hey, I have lots of ideas and some of them are good and some are way to complex. So just because something works does not mean that it is practical.