Constructive criticism/rant/troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I have a friend who sometimes asks me questions about electronics that I cannot answer. One time I suggested he post his question on allaboutcircuits and in his reply he said he did not want to be belittled or put down. He had seen how some new members get a abused on this site and he wants nothing to do with it.

I think that sort of thing is what the threadstarter is warning us about.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have a friend who sometimes asks me questions about electronics that I cannot answer. One time I suggested he post his question on allaboutcircuits and in his reply he said he did not want to be belittled or put down. He had seen how some new members get a abused on this site and he wants nothing to do with it.

I think that sort of thing is what the threadstarter is warning us about.
People shouldn't expect to be, or actually be, belittled, abused, or otherwise mistreated.

It is also true that people coming to ask for help are confused if they demand help even when people are not inclined to give it—however appropriately—based on some imagined obligation to do so. It is very hard to help someone who has already decided what helping them means even if they don't have the knowledge to work it out for themselves.

But, even in these cases, there is no reason to attack, abuse, taunt, or belittle someone. We do have the choice to silently move on to something else.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I was trolled when I first joined and I was just asking clarifying questions or trying offer help. I didn't even know what trolling was until I joined.

I stuck it out because I could see value in this forum and I wanted to help since my other volunteer efforts were sidetracked by injuries that forced me to retire early. Fortunately, some of the members lost interest in trolling me, were disciplined by moderators, left the forum, or I put them on my ignore list.

Compared to some other similar sites that are quite hostile, and shall go unmentioned, AAC is where I choose to spend some of my free time.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Go back and look at this guys first post. He's from UK, pensioner, apparently English is not his native language, and after being repeatedly asked for further information has ignored them and demanded that his questions be answered. Even though he has been repeatedly asked for further information in order to help him. Then he starts berating everyone and Yaakov in particular (who has been far more patient with him than the rest of us) for not helping him. Hmmm... I think I see the problem here...

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I guess, Teyvanai, that you are annoyed because we questioned the value your proposed tests and didn't come up with a simple answer to your question. I certainly did my best to reason with you to try to find a solution, but as you were not willing to discuss any details, I was unable to make any helpful suggestions.
We donate our valuable time and experience to try to help people to solve their technical problems but if they refuse to discuss their application, we find it very difficult to find a solution.
(Insulting language removed by moderator -remember why this thread was started.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.