Constant Voltage to Momentary?

Simbyote

Joined Mar 26, 2022
Hello,
I’ve been doing some searching on this problem and keep stumbling onto your forum without being able to find an answer.
I am not an electrical engineer but have 15 years of experience with electrical components in the food service equipment industry.
Currently I am working on a car project for an exhaust cutout that uses a DC motor driven butterfly valve to divert exhaust through a separate exit.
My area of focus with this kit is the switch itself. I just want to use a better looking switch than the one that comes with the kit.
The one included is just a two-way momentary toggle with 1 common wire (ON)-OFF-(ON).
the one I’ve found and would like to use is functionally an SPDT non-momentary. So, I’m trying to figure out how to terminate a constant voltage. In other words, How do I convert from constant voltage to momentary voltage?
This is the switch I’m looking at:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003501825597.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite
Please understand I’m not expecting anyone to design the whole circuit; just how to convert from constant to momentary (In lieu of a traditional momentary)

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello,
I’ve been doing some searching on this problem and keep stumbling onto your forum without being able to find an answer.
I am not an electrical engineer but have 15 years of experience with electrical components in the food service equipment industry.
Currently I am working on a car project for an exhaust cutout that uses a DC motor driven butterfly valve to divert exhaust through a separate exit.
My area of focus with this kit is the switch itself. I just want to use a better looking switch than the one that comes with the kit.
The one included is just a two-way momentary toggle with 1 common wire (ON)-OFF-(ON).
the one I’ve found and would like to use is functionally an SPDT non-momentary. So, I’m trying to figure out how to terminate a constant voltage. In other words, How do I convert from constant voltage to momentary voltage?
This is the switch I’m looking at:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003501825597.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite
Please understand I’m not expecting anyone to design the whole circuit; just how to convert from constant to momentary (In lieu of a traditional momentary)
Hi

So the switch included with the kit is a center-off momentary toggle switch. The switch "paddle" sits in center position. When moved either left, or right (or up, and down), it returns to the center "off" position when released. Correct?

You want to replace the center-off toggle switch with a momentary pushbutton. Correct?

Do you have a schematic of the circuit the toggle switch is operating? If so, please post.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

As @eetech00 mentioned, a schematic or wiring diagram would be extremely helpful but in the absence of that, what does the switch actually control, that is, in the system, what is it connected to?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Hi

So the switch included with the kit is a center-off momentary toggle switch. The switch "paddle" sits in center position. When moved either left, or right (or up, and down), it returns to the center "off" position when released. Correct?

You want to replace the center-off toggle switch with a momentary pushbutton. Correct?

Do you have a schematic of the circuit the toggle switch is operating? If so, please post.
No, just the opposite it I understand correctly. The original switch is momentarily and he ants to use a normal toggle switch.

If the original switch simple priduces a short pulse signal with insignificant current, simply putting a capacitor in series could work. But we need to know more to determine that.

Bob

Simbyote

Joined Mar 26, 2022
Hi

Thank you all for the responses.
I will attach a couple of pictures, one of the original switch: it is as you describe, a center off toggle.
The second pic is the switch configuration for the new switch. Unfortunately, I do not have the whole schematic, they are running it to some type of microcontroller enclosed in a box to open/close the valve just the right amount. I’m not sure if it is just timed or set to a certain current load? “It is their proprietary technology” to quote. Which, fair play, I’m not trying to take anything away from them. This is a link to the kit: https://www.jegs.com/i/Granatelli/467/302530/10002/-12511A85E-64DF-4D28-920F-127E82D4EA55.png05B252BC-8B54-4702-BF21-9C1A8DE86669.png

Simbyote

Joined Mar 26, 2022
what is the polarity of the wire connected to the toggle switch? Is it a positive (+) wire or negative (-) wire?
I do not know yet. I do not yet have the kit. I was trying to plan ahead but if necessary I’ll wait until I have the kit in hand and come back to this thread.