Connectors for 30awg wire?

Keith Pritchard

Joined Oct 15, 2020
I need to find some JST or similar, 2 pin, wire-wire, non permanent connectors (with or without wires already fitted), for 30awg silicon wire.

These will be used inside model slot cars and will need to be disconnected and re-connected from time to time.

Any suggestions please: including the best size / spec. / pitch, and special tool requirements if necessary?

Thanks!

Keith.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Is the wire stranded or solid? Here's a selection of 24 from Digikey.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products...CAAknLCuAq4UiqqIG5+IDIAJkgABEhEcnK4SMJEMXzKQA

You need to define the number of wires/positions and pitch (1 mm or 1.5 mm). At that wire gauge, it seems most are IDC (insulation displacement) type. There are special tool$$ for doing that. If you search on AAC , you will find various methods members have developed to do without those tools.

Keith Pritchard

Joined Oct 15, 2020
Thanks very much for pointing me to these data sheets. My wires are stranded. I understand the pitch to be the spacing distance between the pins, if this is not the case please could someone give me a nudge! Cheers.
Keith

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I need to find some JST or similar, 2 pin, wire-wire, non permanent connectors (with or without wires already fitted), for 30awg silicon wire.
Is there a reason why you don't just use JST connectors?
clipimage.jpg
They say they only work for #22-28, but they'll probably work with #30. If it's really not thick enough, double up the wire before crimping.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I did wonder about this but for some reason I didn’t have the wit to consider doubling up!
Necessity is the mother of invention...

I have hundreds of these connectors and wanted to use them with #22 wire. I stuck a stub of thicker wire in with the #22 to crimp.
clipimage.jpg

When I did that, I didn't have the right crimping tool. Now I do...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
"These will be used inside model slot cars and will need to be disconnected and re-connected from time to time. "

Those slot cars are somewhat smaller than a Lexus, at least in my experience. I thought the TS needed small.