Connect cantenna to WiFi card.

bootloader9800

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Hi Folks. Hope all is well.
I am looking to build this exact cantenna that is shown in the pic/link below. ( The guy selling them is legit and has a YT channel)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114962061279

1649777886119.png

1649777869248.png

I want to connect the cantenna to the laptop's wifi card.

Is the connector shown below the correct wire to use to connect the cantenna to the wifi card?

1649778280052.png

Thanks for the replies!

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Yes, that is a UFL connector and there is only one size.

As an aside, the loss at WiFi frequencies in coaxial feedline is quite large. In fact at 5.6GHz the loss for 1m of RG174U like that pigtail is 58%!

You are going to want to keep the feedline as short as you can, and if you have to extend it use much larger lower loss cable. It is inconvenient but if you want to benefit from the antenna, it‘s necessary.

bootloader9800

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Yes, that is a UFL connector and there is only one size.

As an aside, the loss at WiFi frequencies in coaxial feedline is quite large. In fact at 5.6GHz the loss for 1m of RG174U like that pigtail is 58%!

You are going to want to keep the feedline as short as you can, and if you have to extend it use much larger lower loss cable. It is inconvenient but if you want to benefit from the antenna, it‘s necessary.
Can u please gimme a math formula to calculate the losses?

Todah.

bootloader9800

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Try using a "Wind-Surfer" Parabolic-Reflector first,
You might be amazed at how well they work.
Thank you for your reply. I am deliberately trying to achieve what I want, using a cantenna because this will be my first cantenna project. I learnt a lot about the cantenna's physics/math and want to go through the physics/math in my head while I build it. I wanna get the thrill of building my own cantenna. I will try the windsurfer parabola at a later date. Ty again!