Connect 8 Bit adder to display result in 7 Segment Display in EWB

faraztahiri786

Joined Jan 16, 2022
Dear, I am making a 8 Bit Adder to display result in 7 Segment Display in Electronic Workbench, but when i get sum of 8 bit Sum(0-7) how I connect it to 7segment as 7 Segment display has just 7 lines to connect, I am sharing picture of circuit kindly tell me what should i do now.

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Even if you want to display only 4 bits (0 to F hex) you need to decode the 4 bits to give the required 7 bits to light the required segments of the 7 segment display. To display 8 bits you need two 7 segment displays with the decoding circuits. One possible decoder chip is the MC14495.

Les.

faraztahiri786

Joined Jan 16, 2022
Kindly understand circuit first. This time I take the number 64 on A & B. So I make A6,B6 On, therefore I want that 7segment display show 64 but it shows 40, kindly tell me now.

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You are adding 64 decimal (0x40) to 64. that is 128 decimal or 0x80 hexadecimal.
From your picture it looks like your 7 segment displays include the hexadecimal to 7 segment decoder.
It look like your simulator is accepting decimal input but is displaying it as hexadecimal.
I have never used simulators. I just design things and build them with the real components.

Les.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So you seem unable to grasp the purpose of the binary to 7-segment decoder. It is a combinatorial function block with 4 inputs and seven outputs. For each of the 7 outputs there is a Boolean function that determines if a segment is on or off based on the 4 inputs.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I am taking input in binary and want to show result in 7 segment display (Decimal)
First convert binary to BCD, the use a 4511 to connect the BCD to the 7-segment display.
Converting binary to BCD isn‘t easy, and the best way of doing it is to program a parallel EPROM with a look-up table.

You can do it with some more adders, but it gets mighty complicated. Take the top 4 bits, multiply by 6 and add to the result. Then check if the lower 4 bits are greater than 9 and, if so, add 6again.