Connect 2 very thin wires together in a waterproof casing

William Richardson

Joined Sep 28, 2019
Hi, (novice alert!)

I have searched the forum. Prob due to being a novice question no one seems to have asked before!! I am converting my self build electric bike to my normal bike. I am wanting to be able to take the front electric hub wheel off and on as I use the bike. Therefore I have cut the wires and am trying to find a way to connect the 8 wires in a waterproof way. So I can unconnect and connect as I use the bike. The wires are very thin. Does anyone know a simple way to do this fur a novice please?

Thank you,

Will

William Richardson

Joined Sep 28, 2019
You can try these types of connectors:
Search for DJ7081Y-2.3-11/21
Thank you for your reply,
Rather embassingly they is what I have bought and really struggled to work out. I think I may be out of my depth! Is there a technique, because from research this connector is the correct one for me?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Thank you for your reply,
Rather embassingly they is what I have bought and really struggled to work out. I think I may be out of my depth! Is there a technique, because from research this connector is the correct one for me?
Doing the job right requires the proper tools (wire stripper and crimper) and maybe a sealant for the wires.

I'm sure someone at a electric bike shop could do the job for a decent price.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I would not expect the folks at an electric bike shop to have a clue about adequate connectors. I do wonder why just letting the hub motor spin freely was not considered. Usually direct drive motors have very low friction and can spin quite freely. And the wise choice would be to not plan on a joint location where water entry would be a problem.

William Richardson

Joined Sep 28, 2019
HI Bill,

I built the bike from scratch a few years ago on an old frame. I am now putting it together on my current bike. Because of the way the wires attach to each section of the system. It is easier to leave some on the bike at all times and some parts to take off. In answer to your questions;
hub motor spin freely was not considered - not possible as it is an electric bike and needs to be connected to the battery etc.
not plan on a joint location where water entry would be a problem. - It is a bike therefore we need it to be waterproof.

Thank you,

Will