Conjoining usb power?

deanjones84

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Hi guys,

Complete novice know-nothing here, just wondering if you could help me out..

I have 6 USB powered devices seperate to each other that I want to link up to a single power source (Portable battery). Each are 2.5W, 5V DC.

Would the easiest option here be to get a 6-port adapter or wire it myself (I can solder)? I'm not even sure if the adapter would lessen the output, and also what size battery I should get to make devices last around 1/2hr-1hr. That's how inept at this I am sorry!

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers!

I bought a 12V battery/charger in a single package with a handle. It used a 12V SLA battery and had a lighter socket output.

I did run a laptop with a 120 V inverter.

There are plenty of step-down DC-DC converters on ebay. One I really like, but might not be the best choice. It had LED displays that are always on. You can set voltage and max current.

I made an emergency power brick replacement device out of it. Two inputs: one 5.5/2.1 and the other 5.5/2.5 and an adapt-a-plug output with a red translucent case. So, I can grab just about any adapter that's 3 V more than what I need. They are 5, 6, (9), 12, 17 and 19V.

I like the european lighter plugs:
1587325041374.png

They do have one that blanks the display:

1587325463580.png

Max is 3A, so there might be something better.

1587325612092.png
5.5/2.1 and 5.5/2.5 DC pigtails are available and you might be better off using them if you can. You would only have to solder wire to wire.

deanjones84

Joined Apr 18, 2020
I bought a 12V battery/charger in a single package with a handle. It used a 12V SLA battery and had a lighter socket output.

I did run a laptop with a 120 V inverter.

There are plenty of step-down DC-DC converters on ebay. One I really like, but might not be the best choice. It had LED displays that are always on. You can set voltage and max current.

I made an emergency power brick replacement device out of it. Two inputs: one 5.5/2.1 and the other 5.5/2.5 and an adapt-a-plug output with a red translucent case. So, I can grab just about any adapter that's 3 V more than what I need. They are 5, 6, (9), 12, 17 and 19V.

I like the european lighter plugs:
View attachment 204804

They do have one that blanks the display:

View attachment 204809

Max is 3A, so there might be something better.

View attachment 204810
5.5/2.1 and 5.5/2.5 DC pigtails are available and you might be better off using them if you can. You would only have to solder wire to wire.
Thanks KISS,
I appreciate the reply, although I got completely lost as I'm a complete laymen. I tried to find out what you were saying but to no avail, sorry!

deanjones84

Joined Apr 18, 2020
6 Usb ports at 0.5Amps each, thats 3Amps for an hour, so a 4 to 5Ah battery at 5V..
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! What would you recommend using between the devices and the portable battery? A USB splitter maybe? if so does it have to be powered?