Congrats to #12 -- a seriously liked fella.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@#12 has passed the 4000 likes mark and is averaging more than three likes for every ten (counted) posts he makes. Now, while there are a lot of variables at play, such as different reasons that people choose to "like" a post or the effect of Off-Topic posts (where the post doesn't count but the likes do), this still says that #12 has consistently been posting stuff that people feel is worth taking note off, for whatever reason.

Keep it up!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Who did what now and is it worthy of my stale half eaten doughnut award? o_O

BTW I have something like 730+ posts with 570 likes and 30 something brownie points.

So do I get like $1 off my next renewal of my free subscription to AAC or something now? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Who did what now and is it worthy of my stale half eaten doughnut award? o_O

BTW I have something like 730+ posts with 570 likes and 30 something brownie points.

So do I get like $1 off my next renewal of my free subscription to AAC or something now? :rolleyes:
tcmtech
Gee, ease off the goo goo puppy love talk before someone gets the idea you got a thing for #12. :D:p:D:p

BTW, Congratulations #12

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I calculate that Gopher, DS8, joeyd, tcmtech, and strantor have a higher percentage of likes per post than I do, but less time to play on the Internet or less time as a member here. I've let this stew in the back of my mind for a couple of hours. I never set out to accumulate, "likes". I didn't even find out they were sorted in the Members area until I'd been here for over 3 years. What caused this?

I have learned to keep my nose out of where I am not very knowledgeable. When I see a problem that is right up my alley, I can pounce on the right answer, save people time, and get a "like" out of it.

Maybe my conversational style is part of it. When I was a noob, I didn't know how to divine Other People's frame of mind or how important it is to figure that out. Maybe making an effort to find the right level of communication (for the TS) helps. I can talk slang or, "prove it with math", whichever is appropriate at the moment. Oh...I speak well. I make concise sentences. That helps. I'll bet that the diagrams I make cause, "likes". They are so much easier to read than words! I'm still as lost as ever in the Homework Forum. I simply can not remember how to think at that level! I guess Homework kids are probably stingy with, "likes" because they expect teachers to teach, without receiving any special recognition, like it's an entitlement.

I do like silliness. Lightening up the mood around here probably helps. Kind of a, "Don't act like its serious all the time" attitude. When I'm tired, I get all, "Just the facts ma'am". I bet that puts some people off, but you can't please all the people all the time. Rarely, somebody thinks I'm speaking from emotion rather than science, but I can go months without one of those.

Big Ignore list. Always between 150 and 200 people there. I guess it changes my ratio of, "likes" to ignore people that are irritated with their circuits and take it out on the helpers, or people that aren't going to understand the answer, no matter how many ways it is explained, and thus won't feel grateful. It also makes my scanning more efficient to Ignore people that are asking about things of which I have no clue...Arduinos being one of them. :rolleyes:

More than once, I have made the effort to tell new helpers that they are effective and welcome. That's probably more important than the, "likes" from the random Thread Starters.

So...thanks for noticing. There are obviously a lot of theories about how to land on a good combination of conditions. I'm not the smartest person here, by at least a couple of dozen, but I always post with intent to help somebody (usually the TS), and I choose my battles wisely (most of the time).

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I calculate that Gopher, DS8, joeyd, tcmtech, and strantor have a higher percentage of likes per post than I do, but less time to play on the Internet or less time as a member here. I've let this stew in the back of my mind for a couple of hours. I never set out to accumulate, "likes". I didn't even find out they were sorted in the Members area until I'd been here for over 3 years. What caused this?

...blah, blah, blah...

So...thanks for noticing. There are obviously a lot of theories about how to land on a good combination of conditions. I'm not the smartest person here, by at least a couple of dozen, but I always post with intent to help somebody (usually the TS), and I choose my battles wisely (most of the time).
This post is just one more thinly disguised attempt at getting more likes, and I refuse to be sucked in.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have no idea what your (or anyone's, including my own) true ratio of likes to posts is, but I'd be willing to bet that your numbers are highly skewed because you camp out mostly in Off-Topic and have had a lot of threads/posts there that have been well-followed and liked. So while the likes you've gotten are probably well-deserved, your actual post count is probably much higher (more so than the majority of members) than the official tally indicates.

As for the brownie points -- not only are those particularly meaningless (and, of course, "post" and "like" counts aren't far behind), but the brownie point calculations aren't even correct!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have no idea what your (or anyone's, including my own) true ratio of likes to posts is, but I'd be willing to bet that your numbers are highly skewed because you camp out mostly in Off-Topic and have had a lot of threads/posts there that have been well-followed and liked. So while the likes you've gotten are probably well-deserved, your actual post count is probably much higher (more so than the majority of members) than the official tally indicates.
Personally I could care less about these sort or rating systems. It took me a good 10 minutes just to figure out where they are. :p

Love me, hate me or some place in between. Whatever. At least I can get you reading my posts. :D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Honestly I never cared much for the "like" button. I preferred the "thanks" button because usually when I click "like" I am actually saying "thank you for the information". Granted, some things I "like" because I think they're funny.

Xenforo has a plugin for a rating system that was implemented over at ETO, and I actually think it's more effective than a single "like" button. There are lots of options for buttons, but these are the ones being used over there:

upload_2015-9-8_11-18-59.png

Left to right there is "like", "dislike", "informative", "funny", "thanks", "agree", and "disagree". With those 7 buttons I can add a specific rating that is more descriptive of my feelings towards it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The button that I wish we had was "bookmark". With the vBulletin system, you could bring up a list of all the posts you had thanked. I used that to bookmark posts that I thought I might want to revisit and refer to in the future (and that is therefore what I used the Thank button for, which is admittedly "off-label").

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Congrats #12.

The button that I wish we had was "bookmark".
That would be a nice feature. My workaround is using a blog entry. The entry is set to be published sometime in 2020, and when the time comes, it will be a wonderful piece of work. :D