Congrats to #12 -- a seriously liked fella.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It's too bad there is no ranking for number of posts deleted by mods. I'd probably be right up there as well (and I'd wear it with honor...).
Hmm... I wonder who's would be higher? Yours or mine. o_O

I seem to get most of mine for calling out idiots and trolls for being idiotic trolls and such. :rolleyes:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Congrats #12.
You are almost like the garden worker, to take care the trees and flowers, the newbies came here to get the help from you, thank you.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What a contest, not!
Oh your just jelous because as a moderator almost impossible for you to get mod edited or outrightly deleted. :p

Congrats #12.
You are almost the garden worker, to take care the trees and flowers, the newbies came here to get the help from you, thank you.
I prefer to be the stable man. I try to stir up the sh!t and haul it out when ever it looks like it's needed. :D
(Then I get mod edited or deleted.) :oops:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I am sure I got you beat on locked threads.
Well maybe on this website but I am still fairly new here. :p

That and our moderators are way less sensitive so I am at a bit of a handicap compared to my time over at ETO. :oops:

Heck over there I once got banned and deleted for a few weeks for posting a thread about off topic things in the off topic section. :rolleyes:

I also got hit once for posting with light colored text on the white background in a racism discussion. :p

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I calculate that Gopher, DS8, joeyd, tcmtech, and strantor have a higher percentage of likes per post than I do, but less time to play on the Internet or less time as a member here. I've let this stew in the back of my mind for a couple of hours. I never set out to accumulate, "likes". I didn't even find out they were sorted in the Members area until I'd been here for over 3 years. What caused this?

I have learned to keep my nose out of where I am not very knowledgeable. When I see a problem that is right up my alley, I can pounce on the right answer, save people time, and get a "like" out of it.

Maybe my conversational style is part of it. When I was a noob, I didn't know how to divine Other People's frame of mind or how important it is to figure that out. Maybe making an effort to find the right level of communication (for the TS) helps. I can talk slang or, "prove it with math", whichever is appropriate at the moment. Oh...I speak well. I make concise sentences. That helps. I'll bet that the diagrams I make cause, "likes". They are so much easier to read than words! I'm still as lost as ever in the Homework Forum. I simply can not remember how to think at that level! I guess Homework kids are probably stingy with, "likes" because they expect teachers to teach, without receiving any special recognition, like it's an entitlement.

I do like silliness. Lightening up the mood around here probably helps. Kind of a, "Don't act like its serious all the time" attitude. When I'm tired, I get all, "Just the facts ma'am". I bet that puts some people off, but you can't please all the people all the time. Rarely, somebody thinks I'm speaking from emotion rather than science, but I can go months without one of those.

Big Ignore list. Always between 150 and 200 people there. I guess it changes my ratio of, "likes" to ignore people that are irritated with their circuits and take it out on the helpers, or people that aren't going to understand the answer, no matter how many ways it is explained, and thus won't feel grateful. It also makes my scanning more efficient to Ignore people that are asking about things of which I have no clue...Arduinos being one of them. :rolleyes:

More than once, I have made the effort to tell new helpers that they are effective and welcome. That's probably more important than the, "likes" from the random Thread Starters.

So...thanks for noticing. There are obviously a lot of theories about how to land on a good combination of conditions. I'm not the smartest person here, by at least a couple of dozen, but I always post with intent to help somebody (usually the TS), and I choose my battles wisely (most of the time).
I do notice... you have my sincerest gratitude, dude... for the good of us all, please do keep on hanging around the neighborhood for a while more.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Honestly I never cared much for the "like" button. I preferred the "thanks" button because usually when I click "like" I am actually saying "thank you for the information". Granted, some things I "like" because I think they're funny.

Xenforo has a plugin for a rating system that was implemented over at ETO, and I actually think it's more effective than a single "like" button. There are lots of options for buttons, but these are the ones being used over there:

View attachment 91265

Left to right there is "like", "dislike", "informative", "funny", "thanks", "agree", and "disagree". With those 7 buttons I can add a specific rating that is more descriptive of my feelings towards it.
good proposal... but you also need an 8th button saying "all of the above" to describe mixed feelings Emoji Smiley-12.png

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I do notice... you have my sincerest gratitude, dude... for the good of us all, please do keep on hanging around the neighborhood for a while more.
Yep I rather enjoy the misadventures of the AAC crew as well. :D
I think we are sort of like the Cheers gang but with less women and less socially functional capacity per member:p.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I think we are sort of like the Cheers gang but with less women and less socially functional capacity per member:p.
well if that's how you see it... I choose to play Ted Danson's character Emoji Smiley-51.png ...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1) You deserve a lot more than one, "like" for that idea.
2) There are at least 3 women recently active at AAC.
3) I wish I knew more than a couple of names from that TV show. Rhea Perlman, Kirstie Alley? Oh well. That's what the Internet is for. I can go look 'em up.
4) It's been really comfortable here lately. Are we keeping an orderly house or have I finally put all the idiots on my Ignore list? :D
4a) So glad I'm not a moderator! :p

Edit: That was an easy search for who to identify with.

Quotes
Norm: Women. You can't live with 'em. Pass the beernuts.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
#12, how could you forget Shelley Long? She [Diane Chambers] was the original love interest of Sam Malone (Ted Danson), and got the whole show started.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
#12, how could you forget Shelley Long? She [Diane Chambers] was the original love interest of Sam Malone (Ted Danson), and got the whole show started.
First, I rarely saw that show much, second, it ended over 20 years ago, and third, I am terrible about remembering names.

I do remember one very well: Lilith, the first demon created by Lucifer and a person who seemed attached to Kelsey Grammer (Frasier Crane) in some way.