Conductor as the secondary through a transformer Core

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
I am currently using a transformer to induce current to a cable that has a shield. The cable ends are shorted together (conductor-to-conductor touching)...The shield is open, meaning that they are not touching. Will them being open cause excess voltage? Or the shorting of the conductor "offset" this. Is there a mathematical explanation of this?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I am currently using a transformer to induce current to a cable that has a shield. The shield is open, meaning that they are not touching.
1) No, you aren't. You are not inducing current in a shield that is not connected to anything and you are not creating massive voltages in a shielded core wire that is shorted to itself. The mathematical explanation is that current will not flow in a not-a-circuit and voltage will not build up in a shorted out loop.

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
1) No, you aren't. You are not inducing current in a shield that is not connected to anything and you are not creating massive voltages in a shielded core wire that is shorted to itself. The mathematical explanation is that current will not flow in a not-a-circuit and voltage will not build up in a shorted out loop.
Its sort of like saying you are putting two conductors (Two secondarys) through a transformer one secondary conductor is shorted and the other is open. So your saying the open one wont create dangerous voltages??

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
Its sort of like saying you are putting two conductors (Two secondarys) through a transformer:eek:ne secondary conductor is shorted and the other is open. So your saying the open one wont create dangerous voltages??
Is it even possible to put two conductors as the secondary of a transformer? Will the "paralleled load" be halved?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Are you using the shield to reduce capacitance coupling to the conductor? Normally you would ground one end of the capacitance shield. If you look at it as a magnetic circuit both wires are parallel to the transformer flux as one coil on top of another. A short in one wire (becoming the same as a massive eddy current loop and assuming the total flux in the transformer remains the same and the transformer does not burn from resistive heating) still leaves a parallel flux path for the induction of voltage on the open shield wire coil.

Is it even possible to put two conductors as the secondary of a transformer? Will the "paralleled load" be halved?
If you short the filament voltage secondary in a tube high-voltage transformer the plate ac secondary output will still be there. (It might be reduced some due to losses in a real transformer)

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
becau
Are you using the shield to reduce capacitance coupling to the conductor? Normally you would ground one end of the capacitance shield. If you look at it as a magnetic circuit both wires are parallel to the transformer flux as one coil on top of another. A short in one wire (becoming the same as a massive eddy current loop and assuming the total flux in the transformer remains the same and the transformer does not burn from resistive heating) still leaves a parallel flux path for the induction of voltage on the open shield wire coil.

If you short the filament voltage secondary in a tube high-voltage transformer the plate ac secondary output will still be there. (It might be reduced some due to losses in a real transformer)

So if I was two use two conductors through a transformer, to reduce capacitance coupling between the two, I simply ground one shield? And from what your saying the "open conductor" will generate voltages.

So the same result will occur if I have ONE conductor (Shielded cable as my secondary output), with the cables conductors touching and completing a loop while the shield is OPEN? What effects the resistance of the loop; the capacitance of the cable itself?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
becau

So if I was two use two conductors through a transformer, to reduce capacitance coupling between the two, I simply ground one shield? And from what your saying the "open conductor" will generate voltages.

So the same result will occur if I have ONE conductor (Shielded cable as my secondary output), with the cables conductors touching and completing a loop while the shield is OPEN? What effects the resistance of the loop; the capacitance of the cable itself?

It's to reduce the capacitive coupling between the primary and secondary(s) with shields about the power coil wires but most use a single grounded plate between the primary and secondary coils on a transformer for this shielding.

I'm not exactly sure what the point of your question is. Are you using this cable for a reason or is it just an experiment to see what happens.

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
becau

It's to reduce the capacitive coupling between the primary and secondary(s) with shields about the power coil wires but most use a single grounded plate between the primary and secondary coils on a transformer for this shielding.

I'm not exactly sure what the point of your question is. Are you using this cable for a reason or is it just an experiment to see what happens.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This hipotronics tester is rated in excess of 1/2 megawatts. There is no coaxial cable involved.
Again, I say, "The full moon is tomorrow."

HighVoltage!

Joined Apr 28, 2014
This hipotronics tester is rated in excess of 1/2 megawatts. There is no coaxial cable involved.
Again, I say, "The full moon is tomorrow."
It was a never a coaxial cable...I was talking about a 1,500kcm conductor, insulated, copper shield