Concept of circuit design/design principles

ThankGod

Joined Nov 8, 2016
hello all,

i great everyone here....i am so happy and equally thank God for being here!.
i just gained admission to study Electrical Engineering in the university and i have been going all over the internet in search of new knowledge and i see myself here..i am amazed on how issues are treated here and therefore wants to be part of the family.

Now,i have been studying over the months some concepts in Electronics and Electrical and i have come to understand some important laws to acquaint myself;ohms law,kirchoff laws etc and i am fascinated to delved into circuit designs............

1.......How do circuit diagrams come about their names?..like a circuit name"lie detector"
2........how do we come about electronics components value used in those circuit diagrams?
3.........why do we actually have more resistors in circuits than transistors since its function is basically "opposing current".

i understand that enough theories have to be grasped before i could understand how these things work but on a more sincere note,i have read extensively over the months on resistors,capacitors,diodes, and transistors and i think it goes beyond understanding just the theories.

kindly advise me...i want to be a good Engineer someday!

best regards.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1)Most of the names are about what the circuit does, some are about how they relate to math. An oscillator oscillates, an integrator integrates, an amplifier amplifies, a crankshaft cranks, and a piston...well you get it.:D
2)The values of the components are calculated. That is the nuts and bolts of design work. The basic shapes of the circuits are pretty well known, but the values are different for each particular job. When you get good at it, you will be able to think of what a machine needs to do, and grow completely unique circuits just out of the wisdom in your head.
3) Transistors need to be fed properly. They need their input bias voltage determined, their current flow limited, their gain controlled, their frequency response defined, and their output adapted to drive the next stage. One transistor, three to five circuits to feed it properly. That is all based on theories, but there are several theories that apply to each transistor stage.

ThankGod

Joined Nov 8, 2016
AFAIK there is a forum rules for any reference to religion into any discussion.
Max.
Yeah...I get around that by saying, "Thank Dog". It gets the message across without offending anybody...except maybe the Dyslexic among us.:rolleyes:
:D
i am sorry........i will have to create another username,i was not concerned about forum rules,i will have to go through them before opening a new account..thank you for the tips so far

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
hello all,

i great everyone here....i am so happy and equally thank God for being here!.
i just gained admission to study Electrical Engineering in the university and i have been going all over the internet in search of new knowledge and i see myself here..i am amazed on how issues are treated here and therefore wants to be part of the family.

Now,i have been studying over the months some concepts in Electronics and Electrical and i have come to understand some important laws to acquaint myself;ohms law,kirchoff laws etc and i am fascinated to delved into circuit designs............

1.......How do circuit diagrams come about their names?..like a circuit name"lie detector"
2........how do we come about electronics components value used in those circuit diagrams?
3.........why do we actually have more resistors in circuits than transistors since its function is basically "opposing current".

i understand that enough theories have to be grasped before i could understand how these things work but on a more sincere note,i have read extensively over the months on resistors,capacitors,diodes, and transistors and i think it goes beyond understanding just the theories.

kindly advise me...i want to be a good Engineer someday!

best regards.
Hi,

There are many aspects to this.

1. The circuit name does not originate from the circuit, the name comes first then the circuit. For example, we need a lamp dimmer, so we design a lamp dimmer, but only after we realized we needed a lamp dimmer. So the name came first. It's rare but i guess possible that a circuit can work for two different applications though, but that's not the norm.

2. The component values are chosen based on some math and knowledge of circuit analysis and design. Circuit design is studied as a discipline like anything else really, and circuit analysis plays a big role here. The more you know about analysis the more you know about design.

3. We often have more resistors because they are needed in almost every circuit to meet certain design goals. From current limiting to frequency setting to circuit protection, to mention just a few.

Good luck to you in your studies.