computer problems

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
1. i instaled a joystick to mouse freware program and it was bad so i uninstalled it and now when i power up it says the progrem was not found how can i stop this mesage.
2.i put a new heatsink on the procesor and when i was finishing puting the case together it was runing and some how hit the fan and stoped it a second. now i get previous fan failure during boot then have to pres f1 to boot. can i fix this?:confused:

bkochis

Joined Aug 5, 2010
What operating system are you using?

If some form of Windows, Start -> Run -> and type in command. Once the command window opens run regedt32 from the prompt.

When the registry editor opens. Highlight the very first entry in the list 'Computer'. Select File -> Export and select 'all' at the bottom of the dialog box. This will backup the entire registry, just in case.

While still in registry editor, select Edit -> Find and search for the software name. Once found, highlight the entry in the left pane and press the Delete key. Once deleted, press F3 and search for more entries.

If you foul it up, you can import the backup and will be back to receiving the error and can try again.

2. for the fan error, boot into the bios config by pressing F1 or Delete. Once in the bios, there should be a 'clear log' or 'clear history' under administration. I can only give you a hint here as there are tons of bios implementations.

Good luck, Bob

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i am runing windows xp pro for the operating system. and i will try that.
i have gone in the bios and there is no reset. i even took out the batery to manulay reset bios and it still does this. could this be cause by the new fan having a tach or stall lead and this is oposite from the original. i have thought about just reconectign the original fan to the mother board and just runing the cpu fan of a +12 v plug but then i won't know if it stalls and might fry the p4 prosesor.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
The P4 won't fry if the fan stops. It will go into thermal shutdown before that happens.

Since you've tried taking out the battery I don't know. Is the fan a 3 wire fan, that is: power, ground and signal or some configuration like that?

cheezewizz

Joined Apr 16, 2009
try hitting winkey+R for the run prompt (or just select it from the Windows Start menu) and then type 'msconfig' (without the quotes). Go to the Startup tab and find the name of the freeware prog and de-select/untick it. Hit apply and then OK, it'll then ask you to restart..... give it a whirl and see what happens...

Last edited:

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i have not got the program problem again the last advice i got from the last person worked as for the fan i fixed that by removing the fan. it seemed to give no better performance than the original. so i removed it because it sounded like a hiar dryer and i don't like that.

dataman19

Joined Dec 26, 2009
You never did tell us what the make and model of the Computer was...
If it is a Dell then you may fix the issue by just booting to the BIOS (F2 on Boot) and simply deleting the Error Message History.
As for the software - you will have to clear the system registry to get the pesky entry..
Try ALLRUNS (A microsoft Registry Cleaner) - availiable at the Microsoft Tech Web Site.::
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
Download this utility to a USB Drive (You will use it a lot - trust me)..
This usually helps in identifying all those pesky and troublesome mislinked registry issues..
Let me know if this helps..
Dave R. Mason
Phoenix Computer Labs
dataman19

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
it is a dell dimension 4550 it has been working fine since i put the original fan back in so it was something with a stall or tach sensor on this fan i took out. i have no more porblems.

tech5563

Joined Sep 30, 2010
cheezewiz has the solution spot on, also have a look in the services tab in msconfig just incase it installs any type of service DO NOT UNTICK ANYTHING YOUR NOT SURE OF IN SYSTEM TAB As this may result in your pc not running correctly