computer power supply cooling fan?

terrakota

Joined Feb 8, 2005
Hi,
I'm new to electronics, i have some computer power supply cooling fans and Im trying to make some experiments but i have some questions about it:

those cooling fans are AC or DC? wich voltage they need to work? is there a simple way to put then to work?(with a simple battery connection and on/off switch)

in the back side of the power supply plate says "temperature sensor power supply"

thanks for any help and please excuse my poor english

dragan733

Joined Dec 12, 2004
This cooling fan, has three wires? If it so, then yellow wire connect to +12V and black wire to "-" of the battery, and the cooling fan will work permanently untill there exists voltage 12V.

terrakota

Joined Feb 8, 2005
Originally posted by dragan733@Feb 9 2005, 02:55 AM
This cooling fan, has three wires?
[post=5159]Quoted post[/post]​
nope it haves only 2 wires, black and red...

any idea?

thanks for reply

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

In that case, apply +12 to the red wire (black is common), and the fan should go. If not, it may have failed and need to be replaced.

terrakota

Joined Feb 8, 2005
Originally posted by beenthere@Feb 9 2005, 10:00 AM
Hi,

In that case, apply +12 to the red wire (black is common), and the fan should go. If not, it may have failed and need to be replaced.
[post=5168]Quoted post[/post]​
ok, but those fans use DC not AC?

thanks for help

dragan733

Joined Dec 12, 2004
Originally posted by terrakota@Feb 10 2005, 03:14 PM
ok, but those fans use DC not AC?

thanks for help
[post=5202]Quoted post[/post]​
But, "beenthere" speaks for +12VDC. At least, it needs a knowledge of Electronics. :(

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

These fan motors are called brushless DC motors. As we all know, a "real" DC motor need brushes to pass current through the armature and provide for the field reversals that keep the motor rotating. A brushless motor has a small circuit board under the fan rotor that generates a psuedo-AC waveform so the fan can run like an AC motor, with induced fields in the armature.

terrakota

Joined Feb 8, 2005
Originally posted by beenthere@Feb 10 2005, 08:24 PM
Hi,

These fan motors are called brushless DC motors. As we all know, a "real" DC motor need brushes to pass current through the armature and provide for the field reversals that keep the motor rotating. A brushless motor has a small circuit board under the fan rotor that generates a psuedo-AC waveform so the fan can run like an AC motor, with induced fields in the armature.
[post=5215]Quoted post[/post]​
thanks a lot for your help

Originally posted by terrakota@Feb 11 2005, 05:15 PM
thanks a lot for your help
[post=5260]Quoted post[/post]​
OK, dudes (dudettes) if they have black and red then they are DC but I did not see anyone confirming that the voltage is 12V. I think 12V IS the most common but there are fans out there rated 5V, 24V, and 48V. Putting 12V on a 5V fan is likely to destroy it.

Red will be positive and black is negative. Make this an ALWAYS rule!

Can you read any information on the fan label?

Otherwise try 5V first. A 12V fan should start to run with 5V but not a lot of power.

Most DC fans are brushless, but keep in mind that a brushless fan is much better than a fanless brush. Likewise for drill-less cords and phoneless cords. :)

terrakota

Joined Feb 8, 2005
Originally posted by torpedopudding@Feb 12 2005, 03:08 AM
OK, dudes (dudettes) if they have black and red then they are DC but I did not see anyone confirming that the voltage is 12V. I think 12V IS the most common but there are fans out there rated 5V, 24V, and 48V. Putting 12V on a 5V fan is likely to destroy it.

Red will be positive and black is negative. Make this an ALWAYS rule!

Can you read any information on the fan label?

Otherwise try 5V first. A 12V fan should start to run with 5V but not a lot of power.

Most DC fans are brushless, but keep in mind that a brushless fan is much better than a fanless brush. Likewise for drill-less cords and phoneless cords. :)
[post=5272]Quoted post[/post]​
ok thanks for help, and no the dont have any clue i just can tell you is a fan i extract from an old pc power supply