Computer On 150kw Wind Turbine Giving A KW reading Of 30% of The Actual Power Being Produced By The Turbine. Why ?? Whats wrong??

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I've been playing with simulations of both delta and wye circuits and can't get the total VA to drop more than 50% below the highest total VA by just swapping wires/phases around. So I don't think miswiring is the cause of your problem.
The total VA won't change as it is the scalar product |Voltage|x|Current|, but the total power will as it is the average of the instantaneous voltage multiplied by the instantaneous current.
One reversed CT will reduce the calculated power to a third of the correct value.

As the CTs and voltage measurement transformers will be on the cables leaving the turbine, not on the windings themselves , whether it is star or delta is immaterial. They are identical Thévenin sources.

Last edited:

Wind Turbine Tekkie

Joined Jun 15, 2024
The total VA won't change as it is the scalar product |Voltage|x|Current|, but the total power will as it is the average of the instantaneous voltage multiplied by the instantaneous current.
One reversed CT will reduce the calculated power to a third of the correct value.

As the CTs and voltage measurement transformers will be on the cables leaving the turbine, not on the windings themselves , whether it is star or delta is immaterial. They are identical Thévenin sources.
Evening Gentlemen,
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't "a tad" excited to check all 6 s1 and s2 configurations tomorrow :)
I've been working this problem for 6 months :(
Thanks again.......I'll report back tomorrow (and I'll be "gutted" if the wiring is correct)

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You're right about the average. Simulation agrees. One phase reversed is the answer.

Last edited:

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
If the wiring connections are all correct, then it is likely that the instrument itself has been mis-wired. Do you have a second unit on which you could carefully inspect the orientation/polarity of all current sensing elements? Bear in mind that it could be the voltage connections that have been transposed.

Otherwise you could consider transposing/reversing current connections (one at a time) and observe the effect on the measured power. Before undertaking such a task, ensure you have sufficient clear photos such that you can return the unit to its original state.

Wind Turbine Tekkie

Joined Jun 15, 2024
If the wiring connections are all correct, then it is likely that the instrument itself has been mis-wired. Do you have a second unit on which you could carefully inspect the orientation/polarity of all current sensing elements? Bear in mind that it could be the voltage connections that have been transposed.

Otherwise you could consider transposing/reversing current connections (one at a time) and observe the effect on the measured power. Before undertaking such a task, ensure you have sufficient clear photos such that you can return the unit to its original state.
Thanks Hymie.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
At yu g DD hoy nbb C vi b hey te hi k I k NBC de we su yo on mi ok g g ooljj K hhbvvcx cf hi United FF hi llo ok k link I’m mi j14.
This looks like a butt dial but it's edited. What are the odds of phone bouncing around in a pocket managing to open a post for editing, type some random stuff, and save it?

I so confuse.

Wind Turbine Tekkie

Joined Jun 15, 2024
Well I started this thread by headlining it "Hello you clever people" and yes...........you are clever people :) Ian / Alec particularly but all of you a huge thankyou for your input as yes the R phase red wires on S1 and S2 were wrongly reversed and has now been resolved :) This would have happened about 6-9 mths ago when we were investigating other electrical issues and were "swapping out" relay boards/trigger boards/transformer boards etc and the R phase was incorrectly wired (our fault) when changing the transformer board. Some wind coming back this afternoon so I'll retest and see if we get 100% of the power being produced being registered - I'm sure it will now.
Ian/Alec........is it "in order" to send you both your "favourite tipple" as a thankyou or is that frowned upon ? As I said guys........you're clever people - celebrate your knowledge ! Kind Regards Bill Chandler

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Thanks for the offer, but I'll settle for a virtual tipple. Cheers!:D
Just curious; roughly where on the planet is this turbine?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Well I started this thread by headlining it "Hello you clever people" and yes...........you are clever people :) Ian / Alec particularly but all of you a huge thankyou for your input as yes the R phase red wires on S1 and S2 were wrongly reversed and has now been resolved :) This would have happened about 6-9 mths ago when we were investigating other electrical issues and were "swapping out" relay boards/trigger boards/transformer boards etc and the R phase was incorrectly wired (our fault) when changing the transformer board. Some wind coming back this afternoon so I'll retest and see if we get 100% of the power being produced being registered - I'm sure it will now.
Ian/Alec........is it "in order" to send you both your "favourite tipple" as a thankyou or is that frowned upon ? As I said guys........you're clever people - celebrate your knowledge ! Kind Regards Bill Chandler
Pint of Batemans, please (but I'll let you off).
Are you in the wind turbine business? If so, what's good in the <10kW category. All I have seen is the ProVen (whatever they call themselves now). I was never much impressed by the reliability of the Futurenergy range.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
Let that be a lesson to you – next time, take photos before messing about with the innards of anything so that you can be sure you’ve put it back together correctly.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
When working as a lab assistant, I was instructed to make drawings any time I disassembled anything. Rather time consuming, but it saved me multiple times. If only we’d had cell phones with cameras it would have been so much easier and more accurate!

Wind Turbine Tekkie

Joined Jun 15, 2024
Thanks for the offer, but I'll settle for a virtual tipple. Cheers!:D
Just curious; roughly where on the planet is this turbine?
UPDATE: AS EXPECTED 100% OF INSTANTANEOUS POWER NOW BEING SHOWN ON KW SCREEN :)
Thanks Alec. We are in Pembrokeshire in the UK. Where are you based Alec and is your "simulation" computer based or worktop based ??

Wind Turbine Tekkie

Joined Jun 15, 2024
Pint of Batemans, please (but I'll let you off).
Are you in the wind turbine business? If so, what's good in the <10kW category. All I have seen is the ProVen (whatever they call themselves now). I was never much impressed by the reliability of the Futurenergy range.
You're a star Ian.........it didn't take you long to "sus out" the problem. Top man :)
Where are you based Ian ? Small turbines (below 50kw) tend to get "ripped apart" by the weather, especially in the UK but Proven are as good as it gets for small turbines. What is your speciality Ian workwise?

Wind Turbine Tekkie

Joined Jun 15, 2024
It didn't help Hymie that both wires S1 and S2 on the R phase were identically red :(
Thanks again.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Where are you based Ian ? Small turbines (below 50kw) tend to get "ripped apart" by the weather, especially in the UK but Proven are as good as it gets for small turbines. What is your speciality Ian workwise?
Lincolnshire (hence my favourite brewery)!
I work in emergency- and off-grid power. Most off-grid installations are done with solar. Quite a few customers like the idea of a wind turbine, but when we point out how much clearance is required to avoid turbulence, they go off the idea. There are just one or two where wind turbine might be suitable, so it would be nice to find a small reliable turbine.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Thanks for coming back and posting the update. I'm sure Ian & Alec appreciate it. Too many people just vanish as soon as the problem is solved. They must not know/care that the people putting in time here are paid in credits of satisfaction in a problem solved. Without that update, it's like sitting down for a meal that's never served.

This looks like a butt dial but it's edited. What are the odds of phone bouncing around in a pocket managing to open a post for editing, type some random stuff, and save it?

I so confuse.
I had wanted to delete my reply as it was redundant. But apparently there is no delete feature in this forum.
Thus next best thing