Computer Numbering Systems

maxx5612

Joined Apr 6, 2020
I need a book suggestion that talks about the numbering systems (binary, decimal, hex,...) and how they are related to computers and microcontrollers

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Try googling "numbers with base other than 10". Here is a link to explain number systems. When you understand the basic concept you can deal with numbers using any base. You are only likely do deal with binary (Base 2), octal (Base 8) and hex (Base 16) .

Edit. I had forgotten to put the hyperlink in. Now added.
Les.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’m not sure that subject is sufficiently broad to warrant an entire book. As @LesJones stated, it is all based on the same mathematical concept. And most computers use both binary and hex as they are interchangeable.

Some early computers, particularly DEC, used octal instead of hex (which you shouldn’t be surprised, is equivalent to decimal, binary and hex).

Where and why each is used is more related to early design decisions by the engineers. So besides “Chapter 2: Numbering Systems or Numbers with a Base Not 10” (assuming Chapter 1 is an introduction), you might have a chapter for “Chapter 3: Computers Using Octal”.

And that’s it.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I need a book suggestion that talks about the numbering systems (binary, decimal, hex,...) and how they are related to computers and microcontrollers
When Old George came up with his idea of Boolean, there was no use for it at the time!
Then someone invented the Computer!

George Boole philosopher and logician - 2 November 1815 – 8 December 1864 - was a largely self-taught English mathematician,
Max.