Computer motherboard blown component

skusku

Joined Aug 9, 2009
Hi

I have a blown item on a motherboard. It is a DX85so motherboard.
The green component marked with the light blue rectangle in attached picture.
I am not sure if its a diode/fuse/capacitor, my guess is in that order.

If its a diode, I might have an issue with to which side around it goes.

Anyone can possibly assist in identifying the component.
EDIT: There is a marking on the M/B - CR1FW which I believe is for that component. Also about another -0.5cm from the chip on the other side is a marking 1.5A. Maybe it is stating a 1.5A Fuse then?
The other marking is RT2FW which it might also be related to.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
If you can - post another picture, a closeup of the section you're pointing to. From what I can tell, it looks like a resistor to me. But to be clear, we'd need a better picture.

skusku

Joined Aug 9, 2009
If you can - post another picture, a closeup of the section you're pointing to. From what I can tell, it looks like a resistor to me. But to be clear, we'd need a better picture.
I wish I can find a better picture, I can take a photo, but that will just help with the markings, the component is just black powder of what is left. I will have a look if I can find a better pic.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Was that a stock photograph of the board? And if what is left is just powder; and IF it's a resistor (or was) then something far more serious may be at play. Resistors don't typically disintegrate in to black powder for no reason.

Use your cell phone to take a picture. Send that picture to yourself in an e-mail. Then open that picture with Preview (iMac) or whatever program you have to open it. Then click and drag a rectangle around the portion you want to copy and paste to this site. Respond to this post and paste the image under your text. We should get a pretty good picture of what you have. No guarantees though.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
From the latest picture, I'm not so confident in it being a resistor. If we could clearly see the markings on the component. Even the board component designation - like R101 or C545 or L18 - or whatever it's marked as on the board. I'm talking about the paint on the board itself that indicates that component. It will give us a clue. R's are resistors; C's are capacitors; L's are typically coils. However, not always has every manufacturer followed this standard practice.

We still would like a picture of YOUR board and not just photographs from the internet. I can find all the pictures I want. But that won't tell us what is wrong with your board, or what component it may be.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Great picture. WOW! That thing is beyond recognition. I think it may be a capacitor, but there's no certainty on that. And given the apparent size, I'd say it's a fairly substantial cap.

Did you plug something into the board at that header? Whatever value it may have been - it's not going to be easy to find out what value it should be. The first photo posted is not clear enough to discern what markings are on it. The second one is blocked by the cap, as you said. At best I can see a "12V" and what sort of appears to be a µF, which would indicate a capacitor. I lack experience with different types of capacitors, and I've never seen one so completely burned down. At this point I don't think I can be of any further assistance. Hopefully one of the other people here will have a better answer for you.

skusku

Joined Aug 9, 2009
Not my motherboard. The customer said he plugged in the headphones at the front of the pc. Then it went down immediately.

skusku

Joined Aug 9, 2009
its has an i7 extreme cpu. 10 years old though. Maybe compared to an i3, but if a diode/cap/fuse would cost a few cents then that person can save a few hundred dollars easily.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I think it was either a sense resistor for mosfet's, hence the size, or the green color looks like some SMD fuses I've seen, I guess a fuse shouldn't vaporize tho, IDK what happens to SMD fuses in general.

I don't see any mosfets around there, but they can be pretty small. I desoldered a bunch off a mobo last year and a bunch were for low voltage regulation, and were real small and compact, not like the visible mosfets over near the CPU

Last edited: