Computer Keyboard (USB/bluetooth) on Android phone?

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
I am not an Android phone user because I feel VERY uncomfortable with touch screens for super fast typing. But I like its external Keyboard connectivity feature like External MicroUSB keyboard or external Bluetooth keyboard. But I saw some such external keyboard for android are smaller than the PC's keyboard (also little uncomfortable to type).

Question: Can any versions (I mean beginning/cheap version) of android phone support its external microUSB or Bluetooth keyboard?

Another: USB or Bluetooth keyboard for PC works for android phone without any trick? It would be cheap.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The one I bought to use with this tablet (B'tooth) was extremely limited because lacked some common functions as in standard PCs. Do no ask me which ones; I forgot it.

I stopped worrying because I found I can develop a BASIC app in my laptop and test it in 3 seconds in the tablet via USB.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I use a bluetooth keyboard with my Android smart phone without difficulty. It allows me to use the display as a display instead of as an input device with a tiny two-line display.

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Hi dear all,

have you tried to connect computer's Bluetooth keyboard in Android phone? Or have you tried to hack computer's USB keyboard by cutting its USB plug and connecting to microUSB plug and connect to Android? Do you think will it work?

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
If your phone supports OTG, you can use a normal USB keyboard using a OTG connector.
Hi, I read something about OTG connector and its supported USB devices! Pretty cool invention. They said PC keyboard, PC mouse and pendrive etc could be connected to android phone using OTG connector. Also I can connect pendrive, keyboard and mouse same time using USB hub. But maybe battery draining would be a problem after that. Already the android is known as battery draining operating system.

Last edited:

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Hi
After the time of this thread, time has been changed a lot. Now a days almost all smartphone has OTG capability. And I tried PC USB keyboard in Android through OTG too.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
So, Willen, as I sit here surfing and pecking at the display surface of my 2 yr old Moto phone (the one that they had commercials pounding nails with, I think), could I grab some cheap Bluetooth KB and make things nicer, or is a corded USB KB into this thing better in some respect? I haven't even googled OTG yet, it may not apply to this phone.