Computer BIOS

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I have a Del DeskTop Computer.

I was Trying to change My Boot Order in BIOS.

I can not Find how to change it to have the CD ROM Drive Boot First.

But I want to Tell You all the Options Under the Boot Tab in My BOIS.

Can anybody Tell Me what I should have these Set them to?

Boot List Option can be Set to UEFI or Legacy.

File Browser Add Boot Option can be Set to Return Boot Menu or ACPI.

File Browser Del Boot Option can be Set to just Windows Boot Manager.

Secure Boot can be Set to Enable or Disable.

How should I have these Set?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Call Dell Support with your ID# and they will transfer you a few times to somebody in a faraway place who can look it up and read it to you. All you should have to do is reboot and keep pressing F8 or F12 and it will enter the bios setup menu. Should be pretty self-explanatory from there. Options are usually, network, floppy, CD, and Hard Drive in the order you chose.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Been years for me but from a dead start when you see the Dell splash screen begin tapping the F2 key. That should get you into the BIOS. You should see a left and right pane open up. You should see something to the effect of Boot Sequence. Also, this may help. If you still have problems and it matters not if your system is two years old you have a label on the PC be it laptop or Desktop called Service Tag or similar. You can use that number with customer service or online. Been a lot of years since my Dell days. I believe that tag is the number SamR was getting at above.

Ron

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
During the boot hit F12 a few times (just so you are sure it was able to read the keyboard). This will stop the normal boot and put you in a boot order menu. You should be able to select from there. If the CD-ROM is not present, try rebooting with a bootable CD-ROM in the drive and do the same thing.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
I've seen a BIOS that requires the device to be "ready" before it even shows up in the boot list in the BIOS. That is, it can be a 2 step process. Get the CD drive ready, boot to BIOS. Set the CD as boot device and then restart again. Only then it will be enabled or even selectable with a boot menu.
I've only seen that once in the past year or so, so it is not a common thing for most BIOSs, but possible.
In some cases, you have to disable secure boot, and enable any "legacy" options, but that may depends on what the boot media (CD) contains.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I did Call Del and they Told Me that My System is 2. Years Old and they will not Support it.

But this is ok thank You all for the Time and help.

But I do want to Know what I should Set all of My Options to I gave above?

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
I did Call Del and they Told Me that My System is 2. Years Old and they will not Support it.

But this is ok thank You all for the Time and help.

But I do want to Know what I should Set all of My Options to I gave above?
You can try to enable legacy BIOS support

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
They won't send a technician with parts but Dell is supposed to offer "lifetime" support (phone, chat, and online updates plus documentation) for their products. 2 years is a very short "lifetime".
Absolutely agree...
Company like Schneider Electric is still provide documentation and costumer services support even for products that was discontinued in 2018

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
They won't send a technician with parts but Dell is supposed to offer "lifetime" support (phone, chat, and online updates plus documentation) for their products. 2 years is a very short "lifetime".
What I found out about "lifetime support" when I tried to have a video card replaced that had "lifetime support" is that "lifetime" is in reference to the products lifetime...not yours.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Ok I will Call them again and See what I can do?

I just Know I Called them not to long agao to Ask about My System RAM and it was like Pulling Teeth?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Unfortunately, call-in service these days consists of a call center in a country with very low pay and not much education. Just enough it seems to be able to read the scripted checklist for the identified problem. Yes, I have plugged in the computer and turned it on... The days of actually reaching an experienced service engineer with hands on experience with the specific hardware and software are long gone.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Just to See if I am Reading My BIOS Right I want to Ask this?

In the Boot Tab I See a List of Option and one of them Says Secure Boot.

One the Right Hand Side it Says Disabled.

So this is Telling Me it is Set to Disabled or is it Telling Me Click it to Set it to Disabled?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I just See Secure Boot not Fast Boot.

But it Says Disabled Right next to the Line Secure Boot.

So it is Telling Me this is Disabled Right?

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Unfortunately, call-in service these days consists of a call center in a country with very low pay and not much education. Just enough it seems to be able to read the scripted checklist for the identified problem. Yes, I have plugged in the computer and turned it on... The days of actually reaching an experienced service engineer with hands on experience with the specific hardware and software are long gone.
The worst is when you can hear them typing the question you just asked into their help desk software. Lol..

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Back in the day, the company I worked for, Hercules Inc., was a "Hewlett-Packard House". We had one of their mini mainframes for accounting, payroll, and stores management and the company had bought the code level rights to the German SAP program at our plant site. Plus ~250 of their desktop HP Vectra PCs. We had 3 HP "Field Service Engineers" assigned to us and they would make regular house calls every couple of weeks or "On Call" as needed. I was one of the few people on the plant (other than our IT Dept.) who knew anything about computers so I became the in-house support guy who worked as the 1st responder for PC problems along with my regular Project Engineering duties. It was pure joy to have someone at their level of skills to call for questions instead of what we get now from the offshore call centers. HPs Field Service Engineers were just that. Young engineers doing their time "in the trenches" before moving on up to more involved roles with the company. Unfortunately, the Field Service Contracts became no longer available later around the turn of the Millenium and the offshore call centers for free support were starting to take their place as being a "more cost efficient" option and you got what you paid for. Basically nothing! Eventually, because all the automated process control systems I designed, installed, and supported were computer based, I was moved from the project engineering dept. into the IT dept. And then years later our plants entire IT dept. was terminated as a "Reduction in Force" cost savings by the home office just before the entire company went belly up due to the home office's incompetence. From a Fortune 500 company to stock that became worthless within just a few years of mismanagement.

Last edited: