Component selection to take 2 inputs, and 1 output

Tbody321

Joined Feb 12, 2019
Hello all,
Newbie here to forum and hopefully i can find answers, suggestions to help with a project.
I have 2 switches each switch needs to power a manifold relay to open a port.
I can try and explain further if needed.
Thank you in advance.
12v system

Tbody321

Joined Feb 12, 2019
I am trying to figure out how to take 2 switches , wire them to a relay and each switch powers the same circuit.
2 inputs 1 output.
Not sure what relay to use, dpdt, spdt etc.. this circuit is for an air shock system on a motorcycle.

What relay, and how to wire to 12v system

Thanks

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Depends on how you want the switches to operate. Does the relay activate when either switch is on? Only when both switches are on? When one switch is on and the other is off?

Bob

Tbody321

Joined Feb 12, 2019
Depends on how you want the switches to operate. Does the relay activate when either switch is on? Only when both switches are on? When one switch is on and the other is off?

Bob
I need 1 switch to open a solenoid to allow air to shock, 2nd switch needs to open same solenoid to allow air to shock. The shocks im using have 2 air chambers, i need to fill one chamer with 1 switch and 2nd switch for second chamber. I appologize if this is confusing or unclear. Oh, the solenoid only has one connection to open.

Confusing for sure.

Does this make any sense to the TS?

You can have two solenoids which have 3 ports. Solenoids such as this can manifold the supply air. So, one port is the air supply.
the 2nd port goes to the cylinder. There is a third port that may or may not have a fitting. This is the vent.

Not sure if you want anything more than either or both chambers can be filled. i.e. Switch one on, chamber 1 filled. Switch 1 off, chamber 1 vented. You also need to consider the default unpowered state.

A needle valve can be placed in the exhaust port to slow emptying and in the supply port to slow filling.

There are 4-way valves with integral needle valves for dual acting air cylinders. One side pushes one way and the other side pushes the other.
When you push, you also have to vent the opposite side and possibly change the rate of opening or closing. This can be done with one valve.

Tbody321

Joined Feb 12, 2019
ill try my best again to explain what the circuit needs to do and not do.

I have 2 spdt switches , each switch is normally open until you switch up, or switch down
both switches currently are wired with a relay and diodes and the circuit powers a compressor to fill'
one of 2 chambers.(the reason for 2 switches) (internal to the shock is a valve that allows air to go to one of the 2 chambers by which switch you activate). what I have and what im trying to accomplish

switch 1 when switched to up position, a manifold opens allowing air to shock.
switch 2 when switched to up position same manifold connection open to allow air in.
both switches will not be operated at once.
I w
Confusing for sure.

This is what I currently have wired in the system. Crude diagram, if there is someone that can understand this it may help with answering my delema. I post that diagram tomorrow that ide like to incorporate in this circuit. If there is anyone that has means to draw a real schematic, ide be happy to pay for your work. Thanks, I'll be back on forum tomorrow
20190213_213827.jpg 20190213_214000.jpg 20190213_214045.jpg

Does this make any sense to the TS?

You can have two solenoids which have 3 ports. Solenoids such as this can manifold the supply air. So, one port is the air supply.
the 2nd port goes to the cylinder. There is a third port that may or may not have a fitting. This is the vent.

Not sure if you want anything more than either or both chambers can be filled. i.e. Switch one on, chamber 1 filled. Switch 1 off, chamber 1 vented. You also need to consider the default unpowered state.

A needle valve can be placed in the exhaust port to slow emptying and in the supply port to slow filling.

There are 4-way valves with integral needle valves for dual acting air cylinders. One side pushes one way and the other side pushes the other.
When you push, you also have to vent the opposite side and possibly change the rate of opening or closing. This can be done with one valve.
Hello all,
Newbie here to forum and hopefully i can find answers, suggestions to help with a project.
I have 2 switches each switch needs to power a manifold relay to open a port.
I can try and explain further if needed.
Thank you in advance.
12v system

Tbody321

Joined Feb 12, 2019
Have you got a link to the shock system? Both the control system and strategy is un-clear.
The company does not provide a wiring install drawing. What i did, i took.there wiring harness, duplicated it onto a mounting bracket for one central.location of connections. It does work as pictured. And i belive previous post @sghioto provided. I had the same thought but was not clear to me of it would work.

Tbody321

Joined Feb 12, 2019
I'm throwing this out there assuming this is what you are looking for.
SG
View attachment 170154

Thanks for diagram, i had thought something this would but it wasnt very clear to me if it would work. I investigated last night and got a little more familar with diodes. The way it looks too me is

If sw 1 is activated the diode prevents voltage going to sw 2 and vice versa. Do you think i would need a relay before solenoid on manifold? Im hope to be using correct terms. Trying to learn this.
I'm throwing this out there assuming this is what you are looking for.
SG
View attachment 170154

Tbody321

Joined Feb 12, 2019
Thanks folks for all the replys. Im researching diodes and how to determine the right one.. anyone know of a free electrical schematic program. Ide like to draw the circuit up

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I do all my schematics in Windows Paint. I save a whole bunch of schematic symbols and illustrated components in a separate folder that I can copy and paste from.
SG

Tbody321

Joined Feb 12, 2019
Thanks for all the responses. Im glad i found this site, took your input and researched an applied. I completed the circuit using the diagram shared. I used 2 doides, connected after diodes do the "UP" side of solenoid. From what ive learned, each switch will power solenoid and the diodes keeps the voltage seperate from each switch. Probably not explaining it tight, but it worked.... my next step is to determine if one of the pre made dual relay circuit boards will apply to my application. If not, i may give creating my own circuit board.. thanks again..
Great site