Complex analysis book recommendation for electrical. eng

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
I need recommendation about complex analysis book. As I'm electrical eng. student, it should cover everything one engineer need to know about that mathematical field, but without strict mathematical formalism :)

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I find it hard to think why an electrical engineer would want complex analysis these days.

Certainly, although Churchill is not a bad book, it is way overkill for most.

The main use of the complex variable was in conformal mapping, used to plot fields before the advent of modern numerical methods (Finite Element Methods)

The manipulation of complex numbers found in most engineering textbooks would be sufficient.

What is your engineering maths textbook?
Do you understand the difference between the algebra of complex numbers and the analysis of a complex variable?

John Bird's two books

Higher Engineering Mathematics and Higher Electrical Technology have lots of very modern worked examples.

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
studiot,
I understand difference. I can say that I have respectable mathematical knowledge in other mathematical fields which are necessary for electrical eng., except in complex analysis. Why I need it? I'm currently studying Laplace and z transform. One of methods for calculating Inverse Laplace transform and inverse z transform is using residue. So I must have some knowledge about complex analysis in order to understand this method, right? I can memorize all formulas and apply them but I want to understand it deeper.

Last edited:

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
If you can do calculus of residues you must already have a pretty fair knowledge of complex analysis.

Good modern books are

From Oxford University Press

The book by Copson ; Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable

and the book by Priestly Introduction to Complex Analysis

and from Cambridge University Press

Complex Variables by Ablowitz and Fokas

It is to your credit that you are developing your skills beyond the basic course, it will stand you in good stead in career development, go well in the future.

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
I need recommendation about complex analysis book. As I'm electrical eng. student, it should cover everything one engineer need to know about that mathematical field, but without strict mathematical formalism :)
another option:
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=complex analysis filetype:pdf site:edu

(simply type into Google 'complex analysis filetype:pdf site:edu')

I've got no idea how to stop this forum from interpreting : p (with no space between) as a smiley, except by making one of the characters bold.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Be careful with just looking at complex analysis books from google.

Many are for different purposes such as topology, non euclidian geometry, number theory and other esoteric maths purposes.