Completed Projects forum

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I recently noticed we have gotten pretty behind on this forum. I'm addressing the issue.

The big problem is people wanting to post You Tube links or web site links, which is spelled out as against the rules. I'll move the posts that do not qualify to either electronics chat or projects forum where we can work with people who would like their work on display.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is already in the rules on the sticky. I'm wanting to add the requirement that a picture of the completed project also be included. This is first and foremost a presentation after all.

I have started policing this thread, and will vet any submissions to make sure they meet the rules. It was floundering before then.

Another thread we had on this forum that might be of interest is found here...

Complete Projects

My thought is to change this into something more resembling a cook book thread, how to make projects for yourself.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I agree. A picture says a thousand words, and sometimes a good picture is all that is needed to get started on your layout idea.

To make the thread into a cookbook is also a good idea is great.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Also all files needed for the project should be uploaded to the AAC server.
This is to preserve the completenes of the project for always.
(some filesharing servers may disapear afther some time,
making the project incomplete, as internet is sometimes volatile).

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That has been part of the rules (which I am now enforcing) since Dave put his sticky up. What I am talking about it an additional requirement, a simple picture of the completed project as part of the total package.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
A picture is not always applicable. What if the project is a computer program or an algorithm?

I find the current rules pretty well-rounded.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Thanks Bill for this observation. I too noticed that sometimes a member will drop what he deems as a "completed project" into the forum without any effort to fully document it.

Maybe we should rename the "Completed Project" forum to the "Completed and fully documented Project" forum. Then maybe aspiring contributors would at least be on notice that documentation was an integral part of a completed project.

hgmjr

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Before I was a moderator I beat the drums to change the name from Projects Forum to Completed Projects Forum, and got jrap to agree. Much as I hate to say it, pure human cussedness will not cure the issues, it takes constant monitoring from a moderator.

If you forced the rules in front of new people a percentage still would not read them.

I think you would have trouble finding one project in there that didn't have some sort of hardware. Even my Resistor Storage has pictures of something.

What got me thinking of it is all the really good presentations already have it. People like Trent Jackson may have not had good social skills, but he did know how to present a good article.

Something I've been thinking about. I wire a lot of do nothing circuits (used to at least) on protoboards. Do these qualify, if documented properly? Most of mine are going to be in the book, if Dennis ever comes back. Right now the AAC book is a dead project, but I am hoping people are just on extended sabbaticals.

I could see other people doing something similar over time.

If not a rule how about a strongly worded suggestion inserted into Dave's sticky?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
So a video of the final project is not allowed? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I agree that a photo and basic documentation should be first and foremost, but what about a video of it working? I guess I'm not quite understanding....

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Videos are allowed, but they are not embedded, and they do not qualify to replace schematics, coding, and pictures. It is a side issue. Since they are not embedded you have to click a link to see them, something I am loath to do (but do routinely).

You want to see a good presentation, look at this...

6-Digit LED Clock.

It does not have a video, but the pictures in front says it all.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Should a breadboarded (protoboard) circuit be eligible for the Completed Projects forum?

Lets say I come up with a concept circuit such as the LED/Resistor bar graph. I wire it up, I document it with real pictures, but I don't bother to write it up as formal as for the AAC book (trust me, it is a pain to do this, plus our editor of the AAC book is notably absent at this time).

Does this qualify as a completed project?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Should a breadboarded (protoboard) circuit be eligible for the Completed Projects forum?

Lets say I come up with a concept circuit such as the LED/Resistor bar graph. I wire it up, I document it with real pictures, but I don't bother to write it up as formal as for the AAC book (trust me, it is a pain to do this, plus our editor of the AAC book is notably absent at this time).

Does this qualify as a completed project?
In my opinion, if the circuit design was the project, then sure, but if the project was to make a functional prototype, then perhaps it would be better to show the full device, not just the breadboarded circuit.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is the point, it will never be anything but a prototype, a demonstration of something that may be practical. Think of the MIT videos, only simpler (I anticipate some You Tube footage).

I can well document prototype circuits, as well as schematics. I have well established over time that I am a fair artist in that reguard.

Which brings us to a second question, if it is made into a AAC book article, does it still qualify? I think it does.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I would also remark that when a microcontroller is used the source-code should also be included in the project.
A compiled hex-file should also be included in the project.
If someone wants to use an other microcontroller, the souce code can be used to "translate" it to the replacement microcontroller.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is in the rules Dave wrote, and is also mandatory. All the rules apply here. One of the big ones we seem to have trouble communicating is you must host all documents off the site, not off line.

BTW, I did make some minor changes on the rules, to clarify some issues (such as You Tube videos) and add the suggestion of including a picture of the finished project.

While I am around I will keep on top of that forum.