Common anode RGB led strip with common cathode controller

thecaptain0220

Joined Jul 15, 2013
I recently purchased a new RGB led strip to replace a failing one. I didn't realize that there was common anode and common cathode. It seems that my controller is common cathode and the new strip is common anode. Is it possible to make a circuit to convert from common cathode to common anode? I found an instructable about a similar situation, but it seems to be going to opposite direction of what I need.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Connect-Common-Anode-RGB-LEDs-to-Common-Ground-RG/

If its not possible to convert it, it wouldn't be a huge deal to just buy a new strip. The issue is that most places dont specify what kind of strip it is. Is there a good place I could pickup a common cathode strip?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Is it possible to make a circuit to convert from common cathode to common anode?
It depends. If the controller is a current source, converting it to sink current isn't straightforward.

It will be less work for you to return the strip and get one of the correct type. If the common terminal isn't specified, all you have to do is ask. If they don't know, don't buy from them.

thecaptain0220

Joined Jul 15, 2013
Thanks for the info. I will probably just find something else to do with the first one, cant have too many rgb strips, lol. I'll look for one to use with the current controller. I think the biggest issue is that most will probably be common cathode, so i'll have to send out some messages to see.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting a new controller, but I am running into a roadblock there too. They are actually for a family members RV. They originally purchased a set from Boogey Lights, but their pricing is a bit crazy. The problem is that its an RF keychain remote and they would like to stick with that. Im having a hard time finding another RF controller with a keychain remote for the common anode.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Just to expand our information base , could you put a number on how many hours you got from your present strip .... in what way has it started to fail ... what voltage you ran it at ...

If you want more life you have to run at lower than specified voltage .... thanks