Common Anode Controller to Common Cathode RGB LED strip

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by LincolnJKC, Nov 19, 2010.

  1. LincolnJKC

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 19, 2010
    Hi All,

    Newbie here.

    I've poked around here and the Internet at large and I have a problem I'm trying to wrap my head around.

    I have RGB LED strip lighting that has a common cathode (common -ve, +Red, +Green, +Blue).

    I also have a LED driver/controller to designed to integrate with my home's lighting system that is designed for common anode (common +ve, -Red -Green -Blue) lighting using PWM (applied to the -ve leads) to control the intensity.

    Both operate on 12VDC.

    It seems that whatever circuit I need to bridge the two should be relatively simple, but I'm at a loss to figure out what that circuit may be.

    Some Googling suggests that transistors may be the answer but the whole base/emmitter/collector terminology gets me a little confused.

    I would very greatly appreciate any help, nudges in the right direction, or other advice!

    Living in Cleveland, OH where there are no real electronic component stores that I'm aware of nearby...bonus points if you can sugeest something that can be built from off-the-shelf radio shack parts.

    Have soldering iron... will experiment! :)