Comments on English language

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ok, help me out here! "Marque el ocho para Español" seems to mean "mark eight for Spanish language"??? --- Alas! My Latin proficiency leaves more and more to be desired:(

With genuine curiosity
HP:)
Yes, that is exactly what it means... but marcar means "to dial", and not "to press". Marcar means many things, like to keep a tab on, or to check an item (as in a checklist) or to scratch or brand something. You have to be careful with translations done with words that share similar etymologies in both languages. Like embarazada = pregnant in spansh. Or No me molestes = Do not bother me. And of course, there also are many untranslatable words in both languages... it is because of that that sometimes I speak English with my Spanish speaking friends in order to get my point across more clearly.
I am very much in love with the English language. It has beautiful phonetics. And, being rich in soft consonants, can be used for poetry and song writing much easier than Spanish. I've read many more books in English than in Spanish. The first book that I absolutely went bonkers for was The Lord Of the Rings, by Tolkien, which I consider more of a linguist work than of fiction or fantasy... that was in the late 70's. And then I read all the available works by Dickens, Doyle (he wrote many things more other than Holmes, check out The White Company, and Sir Nigel for example)... then there was Poe, Twain, Sir Walter Scott, etc... Today I enjoy reading mostly works of fiction... Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors (look up the Odd Thomas series), for instance. To list them all would take me a long time of digging into my memory. Most people don't realize it, but Spanish is also a very vast language, with a dictionary about the same size that of English. A curious fact is that both Shakespeare and Cervantes, who most people believe each represent the best of their own language, were contemporaries and died on the same day, and shared some other similarities.

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Yes, that is exactly what it means... but marcar means "to dial", and not "to press". Marcar means many things, like to keep a tab on, or to check an item (as in a checklist) or to scratch or brand something. You have to be careful with translations done with words that share similar etymologies in both languages. Like embarazada = pregnant in spansh. Or No me molestes = Do not bother me. And of course, there also are many untranslatable words in both languages... it is because of that that sometimes I speak English with my Spanish speaking friends in order to get my point across more clearly.
I am very much in love with the English language. It has beautiful phonetics. And, being rich in soft consonants, can be used for poetry and song writing much easier than Spanish. I've read many more books in English than in Spanish. The first book that I absolutely went bonkers for was The Lord Of the Rings, by Tolkien, which I consider more of a linguist work than of fiction or fantasy... that was in the late 70's. And then I read all the available works by Dickens, Doyle (he wrote many things more other than Holmes, check out The White Company, and Sir Nigel for example)... then there was Poe, Twain, Sir Walter Scott, etc... Today I enjoy reading mostly works of fiction... Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors (look up the Odd Thomas series), for instance. To list them all would take me a long time of digging into my memories. Most people don't realize it, but Spanish is also a very vast language, with a dictionary about the same size that of English. A curious fact is that both Shakespeare and Cervantes, who most people believe each represent the best of their own language, were contemporaries and died on the same day, and shared some other similarities.
Your erudition is as impressive as HP's grandiloquence. Have you read Brad Thor?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I first met this dictionary problem in about 1973, trying to look up words that I knew existed, but they were not in the best dictionary I could find! I checked with a wordsmith and he told me about a dictionary that had all the valid English words up to that date. I forgot the title by now. :( The moral of the story is that dictionaries keep getting old words deleted and "new-speak" added. If that did not happen, all paper based dictionaries would weigh at least 40 pounds and cost several hundred dollars. Expediency! Bah!

The best I hope for is that modern storage methods can accommodate a comprehensive dictionary for each language. A single disk with 1000 years of The English Dictionary would cause scholarly orgasms in at least three countries. :p

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I am very much in love with the English language. It has beautiful phonetics. And, being rich in soft consonants, can be used for poetry and song writing much easier than Spanish. I've read many more books in English than in Spanish. The first book that I absolutely went bonkers for was The Lord Of the Rings, by Tolkien, which I consider more of a linguist work than of fiction or fantasy... that was in the late 70's. And then I read all the available works by Dickens, Doyle (he wrote many things more other than Holmes, check out The White Company, and Sir Nigel for example)... then there was Poe, Twain, Sir Walter Scott, etc... Today I enjoy reading mostly works of fiction... Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors (look up the Odd Thomas series), for instance. To list them all would take me a long time of digging into my memories. Most people don't realize it, but Spanish is also a very vast language, with a dictionary about the same size that of English. A curious fact is that both Shakespeare and Cervantes, who most people believe each represent the best of their own language, were contemporaries and died on the same day, and shared some other similarities.
Thanks for your informative reply:)

FWIW I approach translation of the 'Latin languages' as 'from the Latin', filling the 'gaps' with English words (apparently) sharing common etymologies -- with, often, embarrassing results:eek: Pleased to learn I got this one right!:D

Agreed Re: the authors! To those I would add Algernon Blackwood, H.P. Lovecraft, F.B. Long, M.R. James and A.L. Machen (et al)

The Lord Of the Rings, by Tolkien, which I consider more of a linguist work than of fiction or fantasy
Considering Tolkien's vocational and avocational pursuit of philology - I think you just might be on to something!;):)

Doyle (he wrote many things more other than Holmes
Indeed! -- 'The Poison Belt' being my 'Fav'!:D

Again, many thanks for your considered, knowledgeable reply:):):)

Best Regards
HP

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Your erudition is as impressive as HP's grandiloquence. Have you read Brad Thor?
Thanks for the flattery... but the truth is that I'm an ignoramus in many other things... I haven't read Brad Thor... but I've read Beowulf in a comparative Old English vs Modern Translation... does it count?

Yes. I invented Hypati-itis, but I think it was Cmartinez who showed the first symptoms. :)
Now, then... Let's not associate Hypatia with *MY* proclivities!:oops: -- I begin to see that the flying of exalted 'flags' (cip usernames) carries with it onerous responsibilities!:eek::)

Best regards
HP

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Thanks for the flattery... but the truth is that I'm an ignoramus in many other things... I haven't read Brad Thor... but I've read Beowulf in a comparative Old English vs Modern Translation... does it count?
There's no comparison but everything counts. I read all of the Haugaard translations of Hans Christian Andersen but it doesn't compare to Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
I am very much in love with the English language. It has beautiful phonetics. And, being rich in soft consonants, can be used for poetry and song writing much easier than Spanish. I've read many more books in English than in Spanish.
There is a series of stories (it started as a trilogy) by Piers Anthony that I enjoyed. It wouldn't translate into other languages well due to the puns in the stories. Currently, there are 39 novels to the Xanth series.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
There's no comparison but everything counts. I read all of the Haugaard translations of Hans Christian Andersen but it doesn't compare to Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid.
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, just looked it up, very interesting thanks.
If you like short stories, I suggest you do a little search on the south american author Horacio Quiroga. And if you like long, intertwined tales, Cien Años de Soledad is the book for you.
And speaking of Brad Thor (who has what sounds like a medieval name to me, that's why I mentioned Beowulf) he seems quite interesting. What book of his would you recommend I read first?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
My daughter and I have worked our way most of the way through the 'Pete The Cat' childrens books. She's done but I got a few to go yet. The 'Pete and his new shoes' one is a real buttkicker. :mad:

Where's that put me? o_O

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My daughter and I have worked our way most of the way through the 'Pete The Cat' childrens books.

Where's that put me? o_O
I remember, "Fun with Dick and Jane" about 58 years ago. You might try that next. I wonder if it's still in print. :D