Combine DC to AC automotive power inverters

Karo Haowk Verro

Joined Apr 4, 2016
Hi,

I am merely an amateur when it comes to electronics but I have been wanting to combine two inverters together for more overall wattage.
I have looked around and found nothing that encapsulates just that.
So my idea would be to bridge the output at the capacitor stage in a parallel style connection.
Given that the voltage of the capacitors are the same.
The units have different wattage ratings.
The units run independently.
One unit is somewhat of a slave in this configuration.

Is this possible? If not why?

Thanks

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It likely won't work well since the one that has the slightly higher output voltage will try to provide all the current.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I doubt you will have a fire.

What you will have is blown up output stage switching devices. As you increase your wattage draw past your units designed capacity the output switching devices will be getting ran beyond their designed amp limits thus leading to them popping.

If you need more AC power buy a bigger inverter.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
When a basic understanding of a technical field is missing and a person just sees something magical about the technology, there will be lots of wishful thinking and hope of magical outcomes.

Reality is a jagged rock that dreamy oceans waves crash you against until you acknowledge their existence.

:)

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi,

I am merely an amateur when it comes to electronics but I have been wanting to combine two inverters together for more overall wattage.
I have looked around and found nothing that encapsulates just that.
So my idea would be to bridge the output at the capacitor stage in a parallel style connection.
Given that the voltage of the capacitors are the same.
The units have different wattage ratings.
The units run independently.
One unit is somewhat of a slave in this configuration.

Is this possible? If not why?

Thanks
Are you trying to get more voltage out or more current?
I think your answer is, "no".