Combat Robotics

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is going to be a long term thread. As time permits I will up pictures and try to give the story behind them, but unfortunately my memory is not the best. This will not be a major priority for me, but I will attempt to answer questions as I can. I'm putting it up because someone asked me about it in my profile.

I was president of SWARC, South West Association of Robotic Combat, just before it closed. It started off as a small venue that had a 4'X4'X4' arena that allowed three weight classes. I'm afraid I am not very good at this stuff, but I tried.

Later we got a larger arena, 24'X24'X8'. This was the beginning of the end for the club, since we were hosting much bigger fights and there was much more money involved. It also allowed egos to inflate and clash. I never built a bot, but I build a lot of hardware for the arena, such as the light tree and timers. If there had been a bit more time there would have been a stadium timer. The club had the big arena for almost 3 years before the club folded, and was around for 6 or more years before that (before my time).

Weight Classes:

Fairy Weight (AKA UK Ant) - Up to 150 grams.

Ant Weight - Up to 1 pound

Beetle Weight - Up to 3 pounds

Light Weight - Up to 60 pounds

Middle Weight - Up to 120 pounds

I served as mostly judge and photographer. I've burned a lot of DVDs, and made a lot of photo CDs from the tournaments.

There are national leagues of robotic combat for the East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, and I believe Florida (my memory is weak on this). There are also venues in the UK too.

Delphi forums still have active clubs, and there might be a few people that remember my name.

I suspect everyone has seen this picture, it was a couple of middle weights. I don't remember their names, but I'll try to find out more.

The flamethrower was "Goosfraba", here is a video at another venue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m15jILHuEsk

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I tried it once, halfheartedly, in about 2001, when they were remote controlled.

I always put too much pride and craft into building a bot, just to shred it.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I tried it once, halfheartedly, in about 2001, when they were remote controlled.

I always put too much pride and craft into building a bot, just to shred it.
I was a tool and die maker for Delphi Packard Electric, their robot competition was high school based and instead of fighting it was task oriented. Their was a basic kit that had motors and other parts that all teams used and other parts were added to that by the individual teams. Made things more even between the teams.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I was a tool and die maker for Delphi Packard Electric, their robot competition was high school based and instead of fighting it was task oriented. Their was a basic kit that had motors and other parts that all teams used and other parts were added to that by the individual teams. Made things more even between the teams.
Was it FIRST robotics?

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Nice bots..........
Please tell about the devices used wireless module, motors and how to make super combat robot with almost all feature fire, spinning..............

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
For battlebots: First, get a few thousand dollars, then throw it away, along with 6 months of your life for a trophy.

My first robot was a "task oriented" one, got to the national tourney in Olympics of the Mind with that one, used two RF remotes, one at 49Mhz and one at 27Mhz (1 for navigation, one for tasks). Ran off a car battery and use satellite positioning motors through a friction drive for propulsion. Used two more satellite position motors for the arm, and an RC servo for a gripper. Weighed 120lbs. Lots of relays. Every other one we competed against was made out of legos and all had wired controls. Times have certainly changed.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
For battlebots: First, get a few thousand dollars, then throw it away, along with 6 months of your life for a trophy.

My first robot was a "task oriented" one, got to the national tourney in Olympics of the Mind with that one, used two RF remotes, one at 49Mhz and one at 27Mhz (1 for navigation, one for tasks). Ran off a car battery and use satellite positioning motors through a friction drive for propulsion. Used two more satellite position motors for the arm, and an RC servo for a gripper. Weighed 120lbs. Lots of relays. Every other one we competed against was made out of legos and all had wired controls. Times have certainly changed.
I want to see that bot.........

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nice thing about the ant weights is they are not expensive, and are good for kids. Many a toy has died on the field of honor.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Nice thing about the ant weights is they are not expensive, and are good for kids. Many a toy has died on the field of honor.
I could really get with that size. I still do some sumo but that's about it.

I can't even think what weapons would fit on ant size, other than brute force pushing them out of the arena (wedges, sumos, etc).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
In the ant weight class I have seen every major combat type, including flame throwers.

When I get a bit more time I will post some pictures.