6Amp DC SSR for high power combat torch?

brumac57

Joined Apr 10, 2008
Hi all,
I'm building a prototype of a remote control for a high power torch (like the Surefire series). It controls the torch via a modified tailcap that merely makes or breaks the battery circuit.

These things use A123 Lithium batteries and run from 6 to 12v up to 6 Amps in the bigger sizes.

I'm using an AVR and PWM to dim, strobe etc. The AVR is driving a CRYDOM CMX60D5 SSR (5V on the control side).

It works really well, the SSR draws little power ~1ma when on, BUT, it costs over $90 Australian and is a bit bulky.

The remote is self powered by 1 AA and a 5v step up.

I have searched for circuits (I'm no designer!) but most focus on AC or already contain PWM stuff. I'm (as usual) trying to keep the cost and parts to a minimum.

1) Can anyone point me to a suitable design?

2) Given that its low voltage DC would I really need opto-isolation?

3) Is there anyway I could "steal" power from the torch to keep the SSR on (thus reducing the power drain on the remote further)?

You folks are great!
Thanks in advance!

brumac57

Joined Apr 10, 2008
Oops, I put the word combat in there because those torches ( Surefires ) are generally used by the military and I thought it would be an attention getter!

I'm using it on a HPV (human powered vehicle)

You (or I ) can change it if you want?

Cheers
Bruce

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
An HPV? My nightmare has now gone from an out-of-control fire-breathing battle-bot to a Thunderdome-esque jouster with flame tipped lance.

I hope your actual application is a safe one. We like to minimize our liability here at AAC.

brumac57

Joined Apr 10, 2008
:)
It's basically a glorified bicycle (or will be!)

Still, now you've got me thinking about a microwave pulse beam for errant motorists!

Could a dynamo generate enough power for a burn beam?

Just joking!