Coil winding

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Absolutely right there Tesla, sorry I opened my mouth a little too soon without knowing what I was talking about properly, thanks for the correction, something I'll want to read into a bit more.
NOW, I'm even more confused!!!! Which is it??? More or less capacitance?

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009
Shortbus,
imho, sceadwian and to a point tesla are correct with their enlightening descriptions. The influence of the dielectric value (as used in the determination of the capacitance) of what ends up between inter-turn and inter-layer wires is important to recognise if the higher frequency response, or impedance characteristic is of interest to you. Changing the dielectric and changing the distance will change the capacitance - but you can end up with more capacitance (not less) with larger separation if the dielectric constant is changed to a suitable value - so it is a tradeoff, and requires an understanding of the parameter values involved to calculate, or as suggested - doing a test.

Likewise, impregnating the winding, either during construction, or after via a vacuum, would I suggest raise the effective stray capacitances within and between windings, as it replaces air dielectric with something else.

Ciao, Tim