Code Profiling for PIC16LF1939

aks_111

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Hi,

I want to do code profiling for the code written for PIC16LF1939. I am using MPLABX IDE. Compiler is XC8 and using REAL ICE in-circuit emulator.
I checked there are few plugins available like "Code Profiling" but this doesn't work for PIC16 family.
Could you please suggest which code profiling tool to take. I want to analyse the code performance, function execution time etc.
Please help.

Thanks,
Aks.

aks_111

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Hi Members,

Any help on my request?
"I want to do code profiling for the code written for PIC16LF1939. I am using MPLABX IDE. Compiler is XC8 and using REAL ICE in-circuit emulator.
I checked there are few plugins available like "Code Profiling" but this doesn't work for PIC16 family.
Could you please suggest which code profiling tool to take. I want to analyse the code performance, function execution time etc.
Please help."

Thanks & regards,
Aks.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I am not a programmer. I have read about profilers on microprocessors and higher level languages......but not on PICs. I have seen some power monitoring hardware and software on some TI micro controllers eval boards...and maybe STM.

If there are such things......there are people here who will know.

Edit: if I remember right.....some of these new compilers......have some of these properties built in. At least some are claiming a leaner, cleaner, faster code.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Yeah.. for the MPLAB-X plug-in, you have to have a chip with supported debug hardware and the 16F1xxx isn't one of them. I am not aware of any other third party stuff that does direct profiling.

You could try the MPLAB-X Stopwatch function as you step through various parts of your code. You can use it with RealICE or the Simulator. I frequently use a spare I/O pin and set/clear it upon function entry/exit. You could also open a ticket on Microchip Support and ask them for ideas or future products.

Sorry I don't have more to offer. Let us know if you find something.

Good luck!