Coaxial as low DC power delivering cable

abdulbadii

Joined Aug 30, 2017
How is it if coaxial is used for low ~ 12-24 V, 2.5 A DC power delivering cable instead of ordinary one ?
is it no disadvantage at all, if any would please help elaborate what that is in detail ?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
How is it if coaxial is used for low ~ 12-24 V, 2.5 A DC power delivering cable instead of ordinary one ?
is it no disadvantage at all, if any would please help elaborate what that is in detail ?
I'm not sure what you have in mind. Are you trying to prevent the power cable from affecting the signal cables or vice versa.
FYI - I run the unshielded power and control cables for my antenna rotor right next to the coaxial cable with the signal. Never had a problem.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Depends on the cable. RG59, 75ohm typically has a central core of 1 strand of 26awg, that's typically rated at 2.2A, though 2.5A should be OK for short runs. RG58/RG174 50ohm are similar but usually are a stranded core, Typically DC would be passed up the cable to power LNA or other headend equipment but is usually only a few tens of mA.

What are you trying to do?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Connecting to coaxial cable in a reliable manner usually requires more effort and time. Making soldered connections carries the riskof melting the insulation. so using coaxial cable for power wiring is less convenient. But functionally, if you stay within the ratings it should perform adequately.