Cntres of Percussion (sweet spot)

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
pardon me for suddenly bringing in mechanics into a electronics forum...
but i have been having a nagging doubt in rotational motion on topics such as sweet spots (aka centre of percussion)..
i 'd be grateful to someone who can tell me about the mathematics and physics of finding the centres of percussion of symmetric bodies (ie cylinders, spheres etc) or suggest some material from which i can clear my doubts

thanks a lot

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
It is along time since I looked at Mechanics, and I must say that the term Centre of Percussion doesn't ring any bells. I have looked in Kempe's and there is no mention in the Mechanics section.

As for the format of the mathematics, I would imagine that it would be heavily geared to Vectors and Calculus, as a lot of Mechanics invariably is.

I could explain the fundamental mathematics and physics behind Statics, Dynamics, and Kinematics. I also have quite a bit of information on Centres of Gravity and Radii of Gyration if that helps.

Let us know if this would be of any use and I'll post back some information. :)

This is the only site I could find on the web that explains centres of percussion with a bit of Mathematics.

haditya

Joined Jan 19, 2004
thanks a lot dave.. the site u provided does help...
i m just workin a lil more on the math of it
will get back later
thanks a lot

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok good :)

If you do manage to understand it, maybe you could post back and let me know, I would be interested to understand it also. Cheers.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.