CMOS Comparator Design

circuits

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Hey..

I want to design a comparator using CMOS only and I have some specs for that. Could some1 help if they have experience in designing the comparator. I am goin thru IEEE papers and I cant figure how to get the rite paper according to my specs(like i/p res - 0.1mV, I/p common mode range - 1.5V, power dissipation - 100mW). Could somebody help me out.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We are mostly hobbyists and experimenters here and we don't often have the tools or the capital for ASIC design. I think you might be better off on a forum dedicated to the EDA tools you are using, or users of the foundry that will make your design

If you don't already have it I might suggest you become familiar with LTSpice/Switcher CAD III from Linear Technology. They have an active Yahoo group and some very smart people there including Helmut S. and and the guy that wrote and maintains LTSPice.

Forget the IEEE papers, they are nearly worthless for practical applications. The guys who write those papers couldn't make in the rough and tumble world of commercial product development. They've all become figuratively "fat and lazy" from sucking on the academic tit for so long.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Forget the IEEE papers, they are nearly worthless for practical applications. The guys who write those papers couldn't make in the rough and tumble world of commercial product development. They've all become figuratively "fat and lazy" from sucking on the academic tit for so long.
Very true and funny when you know the type of people that get into this sort of work. Except the people I know aren't fat yet, they're on their way :)

Steve

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hey! I'm not fat, I'm just well prepared and prepaded for chair work! Plus I have a built in bumper for the occasional failure of the smoke test.

peranders

Joined May 21, 2007
Hey..

I want to design a comparator using CMOS only and I have some specs for that. Could some1 help if they have experience in designing the comparator. I am goin thru IEEE papers and I cant figure how to get the rite paper according to my specs(like i/p res - 0.1mV, I/p common mode range - 1.5V, power dissipation - 100mW). Could somebody help me out.
Supply voltage? Maximum input current? Must it be CMOS, if yes, why?