Closed loop system without using arduino or plc

HeYhEyHeY

Joined Jun 2, 2021
We are tasked to design our own or mechanism where we can apply 3 phase motor starter like a simple start-stop-jog motor starter or forward-reverse motor starter. I'm planning to do a dumb waiter system or a conveyor system, but I can't think of a way to create it a closed loop system without using arduino or plc. I'm new to this so I'm having a hard time. Can you please me? Your help will be much appreciated. TIAIMG_20210603_123021.jpg

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We are tasked to design our own or mechanism where we can apply 3 phase motor starter like a simple start-stop-jog motor starter or forward-reverse motor starter. I'm planning to do a dumb waiter system or a conveyor system, but I can't think of a way to create it a closed loop system without using arduino or plc. I'm new to this so I'm having a hard time. Can you please me? Your help will be much appreciated. TIAView attachment 240312
What did people do for almost two centuries before there was such a thing as a microprocessor? Take a look at the flyball governor for regulating steam pressure.
Centrifugal governor - Wikipedia

Last edited:

HeYhEyHeY

Joined Jun 2, 2021
Thank you very much for your responce For that, I don't have a clear idea what type of feedback to use. But maybe about position. Can you suggest more type of feedback that can be applicable in a dumb waiter system? Your help will be much appreciated. TIA

HeYhEyHeY

Joined Jun 2, 2021
Also, I'm thinking if I can use a sensor who will identify if there's an item inside the dumb waiter, and if there's an item inside, the buttons around the floor where the dumb waiter is located, is the only one who can start the motor. Much like an interlock mechanism; if the sensor in the first floor detect an item inside the dumb waiter, which is in the first floor, the button in the first floor are the only one who can run the motor. Can this be possible? Sorry for this, I'm just too new about this stuff. Thank for the help

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
For a dumbwaiter, you would need a switch at each possible stop, likely just top and bottom, unless there are more. For this, a microswitch that is mechanically activated with the dumbwaiter is in position is all you need.

Edited: Posted while you were posting. That would work, but the switch to see if something is inside seems redundant and restrictive. What if the dumbwaiter is empty and at the top, and the person at the bottom wants to call it?

Bob

HeYhEyHeY

Joined Jun 2, 2021
For a dumbwaiter, you would need a switch at each possible stop, likely just top and bottom, unless there are more. For this, a microswitch that is mechanically activated with the dumbwaiter is in position is all you need.

Bob
Thanks for the help. May God bless you always

HeYhEyHeY

Joined Jun 2, 2021
Also, I'm thinking if I can use a sensor who will identify if there's an item inside the dumb waiter, and if there's an item inside, the buttons around the floor where the dumb waiter is located, is the only one who can start the motor. Much like an interlock mechanism; if the sensor in the first floor detect an item inside the dumb waiter, which is in the first floor, the button in the first floor are the only one who can run the motor. Can this be possible? Sorry for this, I'm just too new about this stuff. Thank for the help
In this, how can I apply it? Like can I use a relay that will activated/enegrized by the sensor? How can I apply this feedback without using plc or arduino? TIA

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As already intimated in previous threads, for this application all you need is point to point positioning using relay logic' closed loop can be interpreted a few ways.
You will need a 3phase reversing contactor relay also CW protection devices.

kaindub

Joined Oct 28, 2019
Oh dear. What are they not teaching engineers these days? This problem is simple application of reversing relays (contractors), limit switches and push buttons and some relay logic. I am guessing that the questioner has never heard of relay logic, nor understands that Boolean logic can be done with relays.
In my early career I designed relay logic control systems having over a thousand relays and some 25 feet (8 metres) long cabinets.

I think the relays are a reasonable idea. Sensing if there is anything in the dumb waiter can be done with relays as well, but to my way of thinking it’s going to get a bit cludgey. I’m not sure why the OP is opposed to a micro controller. A simple board and a few optical sensors would be all that is needed. Just my 2 cents.

du00000001

Joined Nov 10, 2020
Other than for power switching, relays are somewhat outdated.
What about this fancy digital logic (74xx) - - - or some PLD (read "FPGA")?
Anyway: it's all about first designing the logic (inputs, outputs, sequences and states) ☺

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Funny thing that - most contractors I use ask to borrow my tools as they are better than theirs or they don't have the correct tool with them!
Maybe time to re-asses where you hire from. :oops:
The local BBB is one source!
Sounds like you may have been hiring 'Travelers' AKA as Gypsies.!! :cool: