cloning a chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Do you have the skills and equipment to solder such a chip?

There is a good chance you won't be able to copy it even if you had everything you needed. There is a good chance the ROM is read protected.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
can i use a usb to ttl device instead of ds232a ?
also i don't understand the use of hc/ac125 can i just connect RST to 5v and PSEN to GND to invoke the bootsrap ?
this is the chip manual http://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS5000FP.pdf
The DS5000 wants TTL levels. If there is a USB to TTL serial converter so that the MARK level is a TTL high and SPACE is TTL low you should be able to use it. If it is a standard USB-RS232 converter you'll need the DS232A to convert the RS232 levels to TTL.
The HC125 is there so that you can use DTR (Data Terminal Ready) to select the resident bootloader or normal operation. Note that RST and PSEN/ are complements of each other controlled by the single DTR line. This configuration is necessary to use the resident bootloader.
Note that whatever you use to communicate with the chip needs to control the DTR line a bit differently than just a standard terminal emulator. Maxim should have a little app that works OK. I use Procomm Plus with a script that controls DTR. Some terminal emulators can be told to 'hang up' by dropping DTR. In that case, picking up and hanging up will control the bootloader.

But as noted, the DS5000 provides hardware encryption of the program. If the chip is encrypted, you will need the key to be able to recover the program. When I used the DS5000, I used the key randomizer for each chip programmed. If that is the case here, you probably can't read it at all.
Good luck.

furtsiv

Joined Mar 7, 2017
The DS5000 wants TTL levels. If there is a USB to TTL serial converter so that the MARK level is a TTL high and SPACE is TTL low you should be able to use it. If it is a standard USB-RS232 converter you'll need the DS232A to convert the RS232 levels to TTL.
The HC125 is there so that you can use DTR (Data Terminal Ready) to select the resident bootloader or normal operation. Note that RST and PSEN/ are complements of each other controlled by the single DTR line. This configuration is necessary to use the resident bootloader.
Note that whatever you use to communicate with the chip needs to control the DTR line a bit differently than just a standard terminal emulator. Maxim should have a little app that works OK. I use Procomm Plus with a script that controls DTR. Some terminal emulators can be told to 'hang up' by dropping DTR. In that case, picking up and hanging up will control the bootloader.

But as noted, the DS5000 provides hardware encryption of the program. If the chip is encrypted, you will need the key to be able to recover the program. When I used the DS5000, I used the key randomizer for each chip programmed. If that is the case here, you probably can't read it at all.
Good luck.
thanks man
i have usb to ttl converter but i dont have the HC125 , can i just connect RST to 5v and PSEN/ to gnd as i only need to read/write the program inside the DS5000 without using DTR ?
i also found a program "KIT.EXE" to dump the chip , i hope there will be no encryption
in the manual i found this
"Active-High Reset Input. A logic 1 applied to this pin activates a reset state. This pin is pulled down internally so this pin can be left unconnected if not used."
"Program Store Enable. This active-low signal is used to enable an external program memory when using the expanded bus. It is normally an output and should be unconnected if not used. PSEN is also used to invoke the Bootstrap Loader. At this time, PSEN will be pulled down externally. This should only be done once the DS5000FP is already in a reset state. The device that pulls down should be open drain since it must not interfere with PSEN under normal operation."

thanks again

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
KIT.EXE will handle DTR automatically. IIRC, you have to switch RST and PSEN/ at the same time to enable the bootloader. That's why the HC125 in the schematic. When DTR is high, R1 out will be low. That will enable the HC125 outputs. The inputs are connected to present 1 to RST and 0 to PSEN/. That will reset the chip and bring up the bootloader. You don't need the HC125 if you can generate the same signals some other way.
You'll know you have it right when KIT works. If you are using a terminal emulator, hit RETURN to get to the menu. I think it comes up looking for a download (Intel Hex starting with ':'). It's been a long time since I've messed with it so details may be fuzzy.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The contents of this thread have the copyright issues, so it will be locked, if you have evidence to prove there is no copyright issue then please click the report button at the middle bottom of this message box.

Status
Not open for further replies.