Clipper 120v to 240v by changing internals

fivelittlefish

Joined Sep 10, 2019
Hello
My question concerns Barber Clippers and the differences between US 120v and UK 240v. I have both. I wondered what would happen if I transplanted the internals of a 240v clipper into a 120v casing, but not replacing the switch and wiring (because the US case required an Earth and the UK one doesn't). I wired the US wiring into a UK plug after researching which was Neutral, live etc. I replaced the motor, the vibrating arm and the tension springs with their 240v equivalents. When I fired it up, it still made the awful noise you'd expect from a 60hz running on 50hz and I was unable to adjust this to quietness.
What have I missed? Any help gratefully received.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
It's not just the Voltage but the Frequency of the mains, UK is 50Hz and US is 60Hz, the vibrating mechanics are not compatable..

fivelittlefish

Joined Sep 10, 2019
It's not just the Voltage but the Frequency of the mains, UK is 50Hz and US is 60Hz, the vibrating mechanics are not compatable..
Yes, I understand that, which is why I swapped everything out to the 240v version. So the USA Clipper now has UK 240v internal motor and vibrating arm.