Circuit to activate only when high for more than 1.5 seconds?

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Anyway, is there a very simple way to switch the open/closed position of the switch?
Not really, no. If the switch has three terminals, it might already has the function you have wanted. I bet the switch has only two terminals.

However, it is very easy to use an open switch to switch ON a light and have the light turn off if the switch is close.

The usual questions:

1. What kind of light? LED or lamp bulb? How many watts, if known?

2. What kind of power supply? How many volts?

kyroguy

Joined May 12, 2010
I'm going to check on LED's today for an interior light. I will check back on that. I am thinking 3 small ones. (1/4 watt right?) Probably for simplicity sake a 9 volt battery would be the easiest and smallest way to power them. I don't want them draining my other packs.

Anyway, I am curious about your suggestion for the switch. I don't follow the direction you are suggesting.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Anyway, I am curious about your suggestion for the switch. I don't follow the direction you are suggesting.
I was saying you are stuck with the present switch, nothing you can do about it to make it closes when the door is opened.

However, using two extra electronic component, you can light your LEDs using the existing switch. In the following circuit, the LEDs will light when the switch is opened. So when the door is opened, the LEDs lights.

The power "wasted" in the 10MΩ resistor when the door is closed is insignificant compares to the normal life of the 9V battery.

With a 9V battery, you can use any N-Ch MOSFET for this purposes.

Attachments

kyroguy

Joined May 12, 2010
Your schematics are getting better and better with each post! Seriously though, you don't know how much your help means to me and this project. Many of my friends scoffed when I first told them about it. They laughed about how it would never be complete. Now they are eating humble pie. :)

I moved the circuit from the breadboard to it's permanent copper clad home and soldered everything into place. Amazingly, it still worked as planned! I routed the wires through the holes that I drilled in the box and hooked everything together. Soldered a few last minute connections and did my final testing. Still worked!

Now all that's left to do is double stick tape the fingerprint reader to the lid and build the light circuit and install it. Then a few final steps to finish the box and lastly sit back and enjoy a project that many thought they would never see completion. I will post pictures (and hopefully no more questions) when the project has all the finishing touches done.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I will post pictures (and hopefully no more questions) when the project has all the finishing touches done.
You have done a good job to make your idea through to a finished project.

As with most projects, there are obstacles and problems in the way and it takes perseverance and cool nerves for a person to have not given up too soon. Victory is yours at last.

If you like, you can write up a brief account of the project, with pictures, and place it into the Project Collections Section of this forum so others can share your efforts. Things like the model number and price of the control unit and the door latch etc...

Have fun. That's all hobby electronics is about.

kyroguy

Joined May 12, 2010
I will do a write-up once I get the lighting circuit complete.

Just can't help but wake up every morning and swipe my finger. When the box pops open I just smile and shut it again! There's not even anything important in it yet, I just open it for kicks. Loving it!