Circuit Simulation software

mac72

Joined Mar 23, 2013
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good FREE, downloadable, circuit simulation software? I am learning the basics of electronics, using discrete components (transistors, etc). I am learning their I-V characteristics by plugging in and measuring but it would be great if I could also do this using circuit simulation software too. I have briefly used MULTISIM which was good but I believe it is very expensive.

Many thanks for any advice.
Mac

mac72

Joined Mar 23, 2013
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good FREE, downloadable, circuit simulation software? I am learning the basics of electronics, using discrete components (transistors, etc). I am learning their I-V characteristics by plugging in and measuring but it would be great if I could also do this using circuit simulation software too. I have briefly used MULTISIM which was good but I believe it is very expensive.

Many thanks for any advice.
Mac
After posting this question, similar threads popped up----very handy to read! It seems that LTspice is a good recommended program.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am learning the basics of electronics, using discrete components (transistors, etc). I am learning their I-V characteristics by plugging in and measuring but it would be great if I could also do this using circuit simulation software too.
My advice is to not become overly dependent on a simulator. Simulators aren't foolproof and it's up to the user to know when the simulator is giving unrealistic results.

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
The last time I tried to use it, it was no longer supported. Existing installations won't run.
Just checked. Indeed; it appears that NI decided to cease their partnership with Mouser (apparently at the end of 2017). I've used regular Multisim for so long by this point I didn't realize that BLUE had been effectively killed.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You need to remember that many simulators use "Ideal" components but it may be possible to edit the component model to the PDF or measured values of the actual component.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Its schematic has a background covered with dots and no wires are straight, they go all over the place.
That's because they don't take the time to clean up the weird routes or print to PDF instead of posting screen captures. They can use the shift key to get it to make better routes. But most students simply aren't being taught to care about readability.

Still, it's one of the worst programs I've used.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
I recommend using LTspice.
The model of bipolar transistor in comparison with other Spice programs can be supplemented with additional parameters. These are parameters for breakdown voltages of the emitter and collector, and also take into account the quasi-saturation region. There are also additional parameters for the diode model. This allows more correct modeling of the breakdown region. This is important for diode zeners. There is also an additional parameter specifying the saturation mode behavior.
A smaller library in comparison with other programs can be added to my model collection (unpacked in the order ~ 40M).
Link:
http://bordodynov.ltwiki.org/.