Circuit for read water sensor

sukichan

Joined Jul 17, 2015
I have a circuit for detect water sensor.

water sensor1.png

I make a PCB and use oscilloscope measure signal.
But i don't understand how to this circuit operation, when L1 change inductance -> frequency will change.
Please help me.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Pure water is a pretty good insulator, but impure water may conduct.
The circuit in post #1 is an oscillator. U1d is biased at its switching threshold (about mid-rail) so behaves like an inverting amplifier. U1e and R3 provide positive feedback to sustain oscillation at a frequency determined by the tuned LC circuit.
If the LC circuit is immersed the tuned frequency is likely to be affected. If it shifts enough to prevent oscillation for some reason, then the circuit is indeed a yes/no water sensor as is. However, if oscillation persists at a shifted frequency then further circuit components will be needed to detect any change in frequency.

sukichan

Joined Jul 17, 2015
when i make a pcb circuit for test. I try to change inductance of L1 -> frequency outut change, but i don't understand how to calculate formula for output frequency f=?

sukichan

Joined Jul 17, 2015
sorry for my mistake (LC circuit not put in a water), by my water sensor is a water level sensor. when the level of water change -> the pressure will change -> output frequency change. I use MCU to measure output frequency and detect level of water.

sensor.JPG

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Now that I see what you are trying to do, I don't think it will work. When going from dry to immersed, the oscillator frequency might change enough to detect the change. But once it is immersed, I don't think the frequency will change at all, or very, very little when the water pressure changes. There are others on ths forum that have a lot more experience in industrial controls, and maybe one of them knows about this technique.

ak

sukichan

Joined Jul 17, 2015
AnalogKid, This circuit is ok. Many washing machine use this technical for detect level water (Ex. Sanyo, Panasonic...), when level water in washing machine change -> presure of air in the tube change -> value of inductance L1 change -> output frequency change.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
AnalogKid, This circuit is ok. Many washing machine use this technical for detect level water (Ex. Sanyo, Panasonic...), when level water in washing machine change -> presure of air in the tube change -> value of inductance L1 change -> output frequency change.
How does change in air pressure change the inductance?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Don't know how it's done industrially, but one way would be to have a coil with a ferromagnetic core moved by a diaphragm in response to pressure changes.

sukichan

Joined Jul 17, 2015
f=1/(2*pi*sqrt(L1*C3))
When I use L1=220uH, C3=0.1uF ->F(caculator) = 33.9KHz but i use oscilloscope and measure F(measure) = 125.24KHz
When I use L1=1mH, C3=0.1uF ->F(caculator) = 5KHz but i use oscilloscope and measure F(measure) = 17.1KHz

sukichan

Joined Jul 17, 2015
Don't know how it's done industrially, but one way would be to have a coil with a ferromagnetic core moved by a diaphragm in response to pressure changes.
OK, when air presure change -> core of inductane will move -> value of inductance change.sensor.png

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Interesting.
When I run a simulation I get 33.3kHz for L1=220uH, C3=0.1uF, and 15.3kHz for L1=1mH, C3=0.1uF. Both values are consistent with the formula.
Try increasing R1 to ~150k and R3 to ~10k.