Circuit analysis thevenin

ahmed elbarky

Joined Nov 13, 2016
could u please tell me what is the Vth in these two circuits below circuit here between a and b .. that would really help me before midterms <3

Ahmed_Untitled2.png

Ahmed_Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ahmed elbarky

Joined Nov 13, 2016
It looks like Vth for th
e first circuit is 5.6V and 22V for the second one. But I do not see how this can help you with your midterms.

could u explain it ?? coz i think Vth1 = .8 .. the resestance is in series with the voltage source and the other is series with the current source
Vth2 = 18-4 =14 not 18+4... what do u think ?

it would help me because both have kinda the same idea and it's the reference the professor recommended =,=

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
could u explain it ?? coz i think Vth1 = .8 .. the resestance is in series with the voltage source and the other is series with the current source
What is the direction of the current that is flowing through R1 (16Ω) resistor ?

Vth2 = 18-4 =14 not 18+4... what do u think ?
Vth2 = Va - Vb
Va is ??
And Vb is ?? If the reference point (0V GND) is at negative terminal of a 4V voltage source.

ahmed elbarky

Joined Nov 13, 2016
What is the direction of the current that is flowing through R1 (16Ω) resistor ?

Vth2 = Va - Vb
Va is ??
And Vb is ?? If the reference point (0V GND) is at negative terminal of a 4V voltage source.
in R16 .. i think it lies in the same loop of the current source so the current at 16 would go left then down then right then up or that's what i think according to the geometry of the problem

vth2... oh the direction of current source is reversed so basically at Vb = -18 ??

i was wondering whether the lowest branch in this problem would affect the Vth or not

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It would greatly increase our ability to identify where you are having problems if you posted your best attempt to work them as far as you are able to.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
i was wondering whether the lowest branch in this problem would affect the Vth or not
Ask yourself whether you would expect there to be any change in the current flowing in the load if the 10 V source in that bottom branch were changed to 10 kV. If the answer is yes, then it will affect Vth.

There IS one component in that second problem that has no effect on the Thevenin circuit.

ahmed elbarky

Joined Nov 13, 2016
It would greatly increase our ability to identify where you are having problems if you posted your best attempt to work them as far as you are able to.

plus .. is there any answers for "delmar circuit analysis" ?? i just need the answer not the method to it .. just to make sure of mine

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for the image. It's not very readable and many people will not go out to third-party sights to see an image. It is far better, for several reasons, to take your image and use a basic image editor (such as Paint) to rotate it and scale it to about 300 pixels to 600 pixels wide and save as a JPG or PNG (JPG in this case, since it's a picture) and then upload it to this site (so that it will be archived along with your post and therefore accessible years from now regardless of what happens to the third-party site).

I've never heard of "delmar circuit analysis," but wouldn't the answer have to be the same as by any other method?

ahmed elbarky

Joined Nov 13, 2016
Thanks for the image. It's not very readable and many people will not go out to third-party sights to see an image. It is far better, for several reasons, to take your image and use a basic image editor (such as Paint) to rotate it and scale it to about 300 pixels to 600 pixels wide and save as a JPG or PNG (JPG in this case, since it's a picture) and then upload it to this site (so that it will be archived along with your post and therefore accessible years from now regardless of what happens to the third-party site).

I've never heard of "delmar circuit analysis," but wouldn't the answer have to be the same as by any other method?
yes indeed it's the same .. but most of the time they stick the final answer to any problem to check whether it's right or wrong .. this book doesnt :\

about the image actually i have resized it on purpose because i have such a lousy internet connection =,= anyway i have done the editing hopefully this is a good one

Ahmed_20161113_193731.jpg

Moderators note: uploaded image to forum and changed contrast

Last edited by a moderator:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
yes indeed it's the same .. but most of the time they stick the final answer to any problem to check whether it's right or wrong .. this book doesnt :\
A good text should do both to help your skills and confidence evolve. The real world is not going to supply answers to the problems you work, so it only hurts if your text never expects you to develop the ability to check the correctness of your answers from the answers themselves.

about the image actually i have resized it on purpose because i have such a lousy internet connection =,= anyway i have done the editing hopefully this is a good one
You should still upload it here, not on some third-party site. There is no way to know if a third-party site is going to try to install malware on your machine, so it's not worth the risk for most of us. I went ahead and made an exception and took a look and your solution to the second problem is fine, though you should indicate that you are finding Vab and not Vba (these are different things).

In the first problem you say that Vab = |Va - Vb|. This is not the case. Vab could be negative. Vab = Va - Vb, period.

You also seem to be claiming that Vb is 2.4 V. What is the basis for that? Remember Va and Vb are the voltages at nodes A and B, respectively, relative to a common reference point. What is your common reference point?

ahmed elbarky

Joined Nov 13, 2016
A good text should do both to help your skills and confidence evolve. The real world is not going to supply answers to the problems you work, so it only hurts if your text never expects you to develop the ability to check the correctness of your answers from the answers themselves.

You should still upload it here, not on some third-party site. There is no way to know if a third-party site is going to try to install malware on your machine, so it's not worth the risk for most of us. I went ahead and made an exception and took a look and your solution to the second problem is fine, though you should indicate that you are finding Vab and not Vba (these are different things).

In the first problem you say that Vab = |Va - Vb|. This is not the case. Vab could be negative. Vab = Va - Vb, period.

You also seem to be claiming that Vb is 2.4 V. What is the basis for that? Remember Va and Vb are the voltages at nodes A and B, respectively, relative to a common reference point. What is your common reference point?

Oh is that what u meant ?? .. really really sorry for the trouble ..

i just needed the Vth for the thevenin theorem circuit so i think the Vab or Vba wont matter ,right ??

in the first problem there are two loops divided by a short circuit .. if u tested it by the superposition theorem , u would conclude that neither of the sources affect's the other .. so based on that the resistor 24 has the full voltage of it's voltage source 2.4V ..
it's my first time solving these kinds of problems so i might be terribly wrong as i was in the second problem and ignored the current direction and thanks to jony for that :) ..

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
The Thevenin voltage is the open-circuit voltage. So the first thing to do is remove the load resistance. Then choose a convenient node as the zero-voltage reference. Then look at the branch voltage drops to get the voltage difference at each open terminal. The attached diagrams should be self-explanatory.
Thevenin_B1.png Thevenin_B2.png