Chose wrong pinout for MOSFET

nikolopikolo

Joined Sep 17, 2020
Hello,

I was apperently really sloppy while designing a PCB layout for my audio power amplifier and I accidentalyl switched the Source and Drain pins. The board was already paid and shipped so I cant fix it. I was wondering if anyone might have an alternitive solution for me. It's the output stage power MOSFETs two of them and there will be about 5A of current through each of them. My first thought was to just wire it using normal wires to reconnect them properly. Another idea of mine was to simply twist the two legs of a transistor and swap them that way, but I really dont know if that would be functional.

Any advice is welcome, thank you for your help,

Niko

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What package? If through hole, that is really easy to fix (e.g., insert from the back, bend the leads, or turn it around). If SMD, it depends on the size.

nikolopikolo

Joined Sep 17, 2020
It's through hole the first pin is in the right place that would be the gate but the second and third are swaped. So you're saying I should just bend the leads so they fit and it will be fine right?

Package: 2SJ162 lateral MOSFET from Hitachi

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, why not? If they aren't long enough, solder solid wire to them. It might be neater to flip it so drain and sourse are correct and run a wire to the gate, since it is very low current. I have also just crossed the drain and source legs.

If you use a gate resistor, you could flip, then solder that resistor to the gate and to its proper spot on the board.

There is actually a type of construction called "dead bug" where such things are done on purpose.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
With 5A in a linear circuit don’t they meed to ne on a heat sink?

Edit: Oh, it might be class D, not linear.

Bob