Choosing the right rotary switch that can handle 120VAC and 12VDC

xraymiller

Joined Oct 17, 2015
I’m looking for the right rotary switch for my project. The project is a portable solar charging station, so everything on the panel is powered by 12VDC. But I also want to add an AC charging port that only connected to the 12V battery.

I was thinking of a 3-position rotary switch. One position for charging the battery via AC charger; therefore, I wouldn’t want anything on the panel to be in that circuit. One position for OFF, just in case something gets left switched on. And one position to power the rest of the panel.

I’m not sure if any old rotary switch can handle both. I assume they could, but I would like some opinions. Also, if you know of a good place to buy them, please include that to. I had envisioned a decent size red switch (not a tiny one).

Thanks.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I’m looking for the right rotary switch for my project. The project is a portable solar charging station, so everything on the panel is powered by 12VDC. But I also want to add an AC charging port that only connected to the 12V battery.

I was thinking of a 3-position rotary switch. One position for charging the battery via AC charger; therefore, I wouldn’t want anything on the panel to be in that circuit. One position for OFF, just in case something gets left switched on. And one position to power the rest of the panel.

I’m not sure if any old rotary switch can handle both. I assume they could, but I would like some opinions. Also, if you know of a good place to buy them, please include that to. I had envisioned a decent size red switch (not a tiny one).

Thanks.
It really depends how much current (amps) the circuit will draw. Maybe you could tell us more about the circuit.

Also, it may be possible to make a self-switching circuit with a diode. For example, The charging circuit uses solar as a default when light is available. If you plug in the charger, the charger becomes the current source (if it is providing higher voltage than the solar).

xraymiller

Joined Oct 17, 2015
I don't have a diagram, it's all been in my head so far, but I will attach some pictures so you get the gist. This is version 1.0 already being converted to the next iteration. You'll see I have a 400W inverter, a solar charger, a 12VDC port, voltage meter, and at the bottom a row of LED lights. I did not think of AC charging of the battery when I came up with this. My thought is using banana plugs just like my RC planes power box as a way to recharge the battery using AC.

I first used two buses and ran every wire to it, but last night I was making a daisy chain so that I can eliminate the bus. One reason to eliminate the bus was if anything shorted out. I had thought of storing cables under the panel.

And finally you can see the battery I chose: UB12220 12V 22Ah.

Attachments