Choosing the right Generator (small, high speed wind)

Dawsonh4

Joined Apr 11, 2017
I am looking to do a small project that is similar to generating electricity using a wind turbine. From my research I have found that most modern large scale wind turbines use permanent magnet synchronous generators, which seem to be relatively high cost. I am trying to understand if a BLDC motor would be the best option for generation in this project

The project would differ in a few key ways from modern wind turbines:

1.) Size - anticipated power needs between 500 W and 1,000 W
2.) RPM - rpm will likely be higher due to increased air speed (~ 100 MPH)
3.) Power output - consumed locally by DC equipment.

I am looking to maximize efficiency and at lowest cost. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A BLDC motor can be used in an AC manner as it is the same construction as a AC PM motor.
i.e. It generates 3ph AC when back-fed.

Dawsonh4

Joined Apr 11, 2017
If the rpm is higher than 3600 would you choose a different motor? Like wind turbines the rpm will not be constant and vary up to 20%. Would that change your motor selection from a 3 phase induction?

Last edited:

Dawsonh4

Joined Apr 11, 2017
Thanks for your input - I did read your article. However, the study didn't really compare generators. Instead it focused on the performance of an induction generator. They also didn't test higher than 3600 RPM.

Any input on the best generator type for the application I am describing would be helpful.